Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dc5800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I need to update my BIOS HP DC5800 HP  Version 786F2 v01.04  is what I have now.  there is 2 update but not sure which one to download microcode update789 BIOS Family 1.14 december 2010 or the ROM Firmware update HP compaq dc5800 (786F2) v01.60 november 27 2015 ? please offer any help. My time and date is not keeping up to date. I have changed the battery on the board. and also in f10 set up it will not keep. I had my pc shut down for 2 days and when i booted up today is had the same date as  2 days ago and same time when I shut down. not sure what else to try??

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The BIOS update is v01.60.

The microcode update only updates the processor microcode table in the BIOS.

It does not update the whole BIOS.

I doubt that updating the BIOS will resolve the issue you are having, but you have nothing to lose by trying it, I guess.

Could be a bad battery connection to the motherboard or the motherboard clock is no good anymore.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply is it a big deal to flash the BIOS?
Do you have a link on how to save it to a usb drive? Never have flashed a BIOS before.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

On that model it is very easy to do.

1.  Get a USB flash drive and format it with the FAT 32 file system.

2.  Download and run the v1.60 BIOS file from HP (sp73863).

3. An information page will open that gives several different ways to update the BIOS.

4. Read the instructions listed under the F10 Setup BIOS flashing section.  This is the easiest and safest way to update.

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop system supported by this softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup.  In the File menu, select the "Flash System ROM" item.  This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin).  The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB or legacy floppy diskette.  The user is prompted when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.

5. Copy the contents of the DOS Flash folder to your formatted USB flash drive.

6. Restart the PC, and tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the BIOS.

7.  Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

8. Select the USB flash drive, and the PC should 'see' the BIOS update files.

9. Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help with the info you added. I did 1 last thing before I was going to update the BIOS. I had replaced the battery on the board with a brand new enerigzer battery 2025 which is compatible but did not solve the problem.  replaced it with a CR2032 that i got from the dollar tree store made by Sunbeam 2 batteries for $1.00 and it has runs flawless for the last several days with no clock time/Date issue so that has seemed to fix my problem. not sure why it would have made the difference a 2025 vs 2032 ?. so now my question is do I update my BIOS because there is a update available or do i not ? as they say dont fix whats not broke? any help would be grateful.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The CR2032 is the standard battery used in HP business desktops made during that period.

So, someone put the wrong battery in there.  CR2025 is not the correct battery.

As far as the BIOS, if the PC is running fine otherwise, that is up to you if you want to update it.

I would agree with you that if it is not broke, don't fix it.

You fixed the problem you were having by installing the right battery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.