Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-415ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

The BIOS version on my PC is from 2015.

Looking at the HP website, on the software and updates section, after entering my model number it comes up with a BIOS update, i download it, i try to install it but it says "this BIOS update is not compatible with this machine".

my BIOS version needs updating, i can't even change the language.

Why is there a update available for my model but not compatible with it ?

Whats the solution please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

I believe your issue has to do with the motherboard (MB) SSID.

Your MB has the SSID 2B17.

The BIOS update for this MB when using Windows 10 is 2B29.

The SSID has to match to update the MB.

There is a BIOS update (sp77898.exe) released in October 2016  for your PC under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 having the correct SSID (2B17).

But it is recommended to install specific BIOS updates using the factory installed operating system. HP shows your PC shipped with Windows 8.1 but you are running Windows 10 so the correct update is not available when using Windows 10.

Don't know why HP does this as I don't work for HP. I have seen this happen when HP uses identical MB's with different microcode in the BIOS in different PC's.

Grzy

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Looking at the Software and Drivers page for that model indicates this as the BIOS update

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-500-400-desktop-pc-series/716...

Is this the one mentioned in the post?  A note in the installation instructions - You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.

You might need to right click on the exe and then pick as "run as adminstrator"

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that's the update i downloaded and that's the one showing as available for my PC.

But running it as administrator makes no difference, it is the same.

See the photo attached

And the first option is greyed out anyway

I can't understand why HP offers it as available for my PC and then say it is not compatible

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello

So no help and no sign from HP? 

Is this the support you offer to customers? 

At least post the correct version of my bios update on your website.. 

HP Recommended

Hi

I believe your issue has to do with the motherboard (MB) SSID.

Your MB has the SSID 2B17.

The BIOS update for this MB when using Windows 10 is 2B29.

The SSID has to match to update the MB.

There is a BIOS update (sp77898.exe) released in October 2016  for your PC under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 having the correct SSID (2B17).

But it is recommended to install specific BIOS updates using the factory installed operating system. HP shows your PC shipped with Windows 8.1 but you are running Windows 10 so the correct update is not available when using Windows 10.

Don't know why HP does this as I don't work for HP. I have seen this happen when HP uses identical MB's with different microcode in the BIOS in different PC's.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes that's right, I bought my PC with Windows 8.1, then Microsoft kept sending me notifications about free upgrade to Windows 10.

So what's the solution? 

Does this mean I must install back 8.1, update BIOS, then install W10? 

I don't think I have the disk image or back up of windows 8.1

Regards 

HP Recommended

Hi

You could try the Win 8.1 BIOS update having the correct SSID. Then use 7Zip to extract the update to a new folder. Run the extracted executable.

Best choice is to wait and see if HP issues the correct BIOS update for your motherboard when using Windows 10.

Don't update the BIOS if your PC is running good. The only fix listed here is improved UEFI security.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi

OK so you mean I should download the BIOS update and select 8.1 instead of 10 as my operating system? 

Yes my PC is working good under W10 but I can't change the BIOS language and it won't recognise other operating SYSTEMS. 

Thank you 

HP Recommended

In the opening post it was stated "my BIOS version needs updating" with no reason or rational for that statement other than the language changing.

Now it is stated "my PC is working good under W10 but I can't change the BIOS language and it won't recognise other operating SYSTEMS."  Just curious as to how and what did you do to investigate the other operating systems or change the language.  BTW;  I am always leery about updating the BIOS when the system is working fine.

Try this thread for a hint on the BIOS language:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Change-BIOS-language/td-p/5858857

Then you can always try a Live CD for a different OS, IE Linux has several choices of Live CD's to try.  Other than Windows or Linux, what did you wish for?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to download the BIOS update that matches your motherboard SSID.  Windows 8 BIOS updates will work on Windows 10.

I suggest that you update the diagnostics on your PC (if an update is available) and run a full set to make sure that your PC is stable before applying a BIOS update.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.