Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 750-427c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got an update request for my BIOS.  ROM Family SSID 828a.   How do I know if this update is ok for my PC?  I don't like to mess with the BIOS without knowing if it's right for me.  (actually  I don't like messing with the BIOS period.)

Thank You

Jerry Green

[Personal Information Removed]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here is the info on that BIOS update

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-750-400-desktop-pc-series/1207966...

Being an "OldTimer", I tend to agree with the theory of "if it is working" do not mess with it.  However, with the things of this day and age, it might be better to not have not mindset.  If you look at the page I linked and check the "Fixes" tab will tell you what that version does over the older versions.  You will also notice that it says "After this BIOS update has been installed, previous BIOS versions cannot be reinstalled."

If you check the "Revision history" it tells the reason the for update as " Improves security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases."

The CPU family is usually checked when the update runs to prevent a problem.  If you check the other revisions listed under the "Revision history" and compare to what is already installed, then you can see how far behind the current BIOS is compared to this new one.

It is a choice between the security improvements and whether it might break something.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.