Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 510-P009
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased a new HP Pavillion 510-P009 Desktop I5 computer.  Want to transfer all my files and data from my old Gateway I5 Desktop with upgraded Windows 10.  When I last transferred all my files and data to the then new Gateway desktop I was able to use Windows Easy Transfer.  I guess that does not work Windows 10 to Windows 10.  Am trying to find a cost effective way to do this without haveing to spend $100 plus for some program.    Files including Microsoft Office files, Microsoft Outlook files,

photos, I tunes library,  Microsoft Edge favorites, Chrome favorites etc etc.   All comments greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Klaus8888

An alternative, that will migrate settings and data, but NOT apps, is Laplink PC Mover.

Their FREE version moves settings and personal data; only their paid version moves apps.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

thank you for the advice.  Ended up purchasing Laplink and the transferd of all files and data from my Gateway 

windows 10 Desktop to new HP Windows 10 desktop took a couple of hours.  Problem was Laplink transferred all my files, data, photos and Itunes to One Drive which ended up being overloaded,  Also Laplink failed to transfer Office 2016,  HP Printer data, Norton Antivirus etc.  Ended up reinstalling programs to new computer and retransferring files and data to ext HD then to new computer.  Obvioiusly took much longer but ended up with what I wanted.  I complained to Laplink and the graciously gave me a full refund.   Several years ago when I upgraded to the then new Gateway Desktop I used Windows Easy Transfer which worked GREAT but for some reason will not work Windows 10 to 10.  Anyway I thank you for the suggestions and advice.

HP Recommended

@Klaus8888

Windows Easy Transfer has been dropped for Win10, so it is no longer available.

Also, Laplink doesn't migrate MS Office components -- I found that out the hard way -- nor does it migrate AV apps, but it does migrate some things.  Just depends on if it is worth the money to you for the few things it migrates well.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.