Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - TP01-1017ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!
The BIOS on my PC is damaged. When turned on, it beeps and tries to restore itself, but does not find the recovery partition.
I downloaded sp134232.exe in the hope of making a bootable USB flash, but after launching the package itself, the program is unpacked 08767F40.EXE and nothing else happens. I tried to run it on different systems(WIN10, WIN7-8), but either it does not start, or it gives an error. I tried other softpacks, but they don't work either.

изображение_2021-09-23_003451.png

Help, please!!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@VenusDanaos 

OK, so first of all, the recovery partition is ONLY for Windows restore; it has nothing whatsoever to do with restoring corrupted BIOS.

I have seen lots of reports of folks trying to create BIOS flash USB sticks using HP utilities only to have that fail.  So, I have provided some information below on how you can use a different working PC, a third-party utility, and the HP flash softpaq to create your own flash USB stick:

Macrium Reflect (MR) is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (is disk or USB form) that can then be used to Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick
3) Open File Explorer to point to the USB stick
4) Create a folder on the USB stick named Apps
5) Download the HP BIOS Update file (this is a self-extracting archive file)
6) Copy the HP BIOS Update file to the Apps folder on the USB stick

NOW, you have a bootable USB stick that also contains the HP BIOS update file

Boot your original PC from the USB stick. It will take a few minutes, so you have to be patient. Could be 3 MINUTES or longer -- it's slow.

The USB stick is designed to repair Windows problems, but you don't want to do that. So, when you get to the app, down at the bottom-left of the screen are three icons. The right-most is a file manager -- click that to open it. Then, find the HP BIOS Update file and double-click that. That will start the BIOS update process.

When it is done, remove the USB stick and reboot your original PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

When you turn on the PC, a warning appears:

20210924_161608.jpg

Then it restarts and outputs:
20210924_162329.jpg

If you run it without an SSD, then:

20210924_161517.jpg

Macrium does not load from the usb stick, although it is clear that the PC accesses it.

HP Recommended

@VenusDanaos 

You have to go into the UEFI settings and ensure that Secure Boot is disabled.  Also, you have to ensure that the MR boot USB supports UEFI booting.

IF both of these are the case, then this should have worked -- and I don't know what more to tell you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The problem is that it is impossible to enter the BIOS. You need to restore the startup, and softpack does not start. A vicious circle.
I think the problem is in the softpack.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.