Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Slimline Desktop 411-A005NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have downloaded and run the BIOS update exe (A07 - installed BIOS is A04), but on restart the update process just reports 'unable to find update'.  Is is possible and more importantly HOW can I force the update through?  There appears to be an issue with the update procedure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Richard1957,

On the product page there is only "1" update based on the SSID that matches your computer. You should follow the instructions page to determine the correct SSID package. There is only "1" that would match.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Richard1957,

Just to verify with you, as there are 2 different BIOS packages, here are the entire procedures for determining the correct package based  on your ROM fsamily SSID, downloading and then installing.  It's  lengthy.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The update I downloaded was based on the S/N number of the unit - not the model .. but I'll investigate. - although I would expect a company such as HP to be able to present an update specific to a particular S/N given they're able to determine the model from it!

HP Recommended

Am I right in now thinking that it's not possible to skip a BIOS update and you have to do a series of them to bring the unit up to date (assuming there are multiple updates)

HP Recommended

@Richard1957,

On the product page there is only "1" update based on the SSID that matches your computer. You should follow the instructions page to determine the correct SSID package. There is only "1" that would match.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Yeah - thanks for the pointer.  I wasn't aware there were two build standards for the model - although as I say, the HP database should(!) be able to identify the SSID for a particular serial number and not provide incompatible updates!

Now up at A06.

HP Recommended

@Richard1957,

Thank you for understanding the different SSID.  

Luckily you only had 2 selections.  I have seen other units with 4 or more SSID selections. 

Again, thanks for letting me know your A-OK now.:manvery-happy:

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

As a retired software engineer it wasn't difficult to figure things out once you mentioned the 2 build standards, but in my line of work we needed to precisely identify the exact build standard of individual units from the sn. It's dead easy with a database, so was somewhat surprised when it wasn't the case here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.