Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 251z Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I find Bluetooth in my computer (HP 251z desktop pc) I went to settings and only see "connect" not "bluetooth". 

If bluetooth isn't in there (which seems odd to me in a brand new 2015 computer) how do I add it? 

Thanks !! :generic:

You can find my books at author.to/SusanHawthorne
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Meenie50

Thank you for the update, I am glad it helped. As to the Bluetooth adaptors, the USB type I was suggesting to you should be pretty standard in terms of compatibility. Just make sure when you look at them that they are compatible with Windows 10, to avoid that sort of driver issue.   In some cases the device will have its drivers on the USB device itself.

The other thing to be aware of is the type you are looking at. If you only need Bluetooth then it will likely be cheaper than getting a Dual Band wireless adapter which also includes Bluetooth.

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Is there really no internal speaker in this computer? (HP 251z Desktop PC w/windows 10)

I can certainly add speakers for better sound, but every computer I've ever had before had a simple internal speaker so when setting it up you can "hear" videos, etc. 

Thanks! 🙂

HP Recommended

Apparently bluetooth is not installed on my machine. Is there a particular type that is best recommended for use? I've tried to ask in support chat, but apparently they're a bit overwhelmed right now, I can't get in. 🙂 
Thanks!

HP Recommended

Just got my new computer a couple of days ago 🙂 My old one was REALLY old with windows Vista and Office 2003, lol.
I'm having a little trouble though and hope you can help me. 🙂
1 I can't find my bluetooth ??
2. It says there's a microphone attached, but there's not one plugged in 🙂
3. Is there really no internal speaker? Just seems odd.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!!

HP Recommended

Hi there @Meenie50,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are looking for Bluetooth on your new system. I am happy to help.

Checking the specifications for that system, the default configuration does not list Bluetooth. HP 251z Desktop

If you need to add it, there are several options you could look at, that could work for you such as USB Bluetooth Adapters. A quick Google search will show you lots of options, and best of all it does not require you to open your system at all.

You can also look at an internal wireless adapter that includes Bluetooth. It is a matter of personal preference.

As to an internal speaker, normally there is a basic one if only to communicate BIOS beep codes when necessary.

For a microphone, you would need an external device, as you would expect. Notebooks often have a built in microphone, but for a desktop it is not the case, excepting for All-in-One computers with a built in webcam.  In case you need them, here a re a few pages related to audio issues you may find useful.

HP PCs - Resolving microphone problems (Windows 10, 😎

HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 10, 😎

I hope this helps, and if it does answer your concern, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Oh thank you, Malygris1!
That was wonderful information 🙂 As you can probaby tell, I'm not the techiest person, lol. I do ok with software but sometimes the hardware throws me for a loop.
Before I mark this as solved, I do have one more question. I have googled bluetooth and seen many adapters, should I assume they'd all work with my system? Or is there something specific I should look for in their specs?

Just a note on the internal speaker, if there is one I'm not hearing anything from it. (like the GET STARTED video for example) so I plugged in my earbuds and can hear through those.

Thanks again for your great help, I really appreciate it 🙂

HP Recommended

@Meenie50

Thank you for the update, I am glad it helped. As to the Bluetooth adaptors, the USB type I was suggesting to you should be pretty standard in terms of compatibility. Just make sure when you look at them that they are compatible with Windows 10, to avoid that sort of driver issue.   In some cases the device will have its drivers on the USB device itself.

The other thing to be aware of is the type you are looking at. If you only need Bluetooth then it will likely be cheaper than getting a Dual Band wireless adapter which also includes Bluetooth.

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thanks!!! You have been a world of help. I really appreciate it!!
HP Recommended

I got my usb bluetooth adapter.(Plugable Duel Mode Bluetooth USB Adaoter, Bluetooth 4.0 LE (low energy) and classic Bluetooth Compatable)
 I followed the instructions to plug it in and it says windows update will automatically install driver (I didn't see any indication that it did this)
However, it immediately recognized my bluetooth earpiece.
The speaker in the earpiece works great but the microphone does not.
On Cortana, if I click the mike symbol, she said she couldn't hear anything and then she froze, I had to pull up task manager and stop Cortana to be able to do anything on my computer.

I looked at the info link you gave above but it doesn't address an earpiece with a built in microphone so not sure what to do since the speaker part does work, but the mic doesn't ?? I don't want to mess anything up 🙂

HP Recommended

update on mic issue above, I went to windows upgrade and it said I'm "up to date"
Went to device manager under sound,video and game controllers and it says everything listed there is up to date

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.