Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Desktop Envy  with the SSD  C drive (118G) and HDD D drive (921G).  The C drive is full and I repeatedly get low storage warnings.  When this initially happened I moved my document folder to the D drive.  This freed up 64G.  About a month later the c drive is full again so I moved my picture, music and video folders to the D drive.  This obviously freed up more space on the C drive.  However it is now maxed out again.  I have deleted and moved  all the apps I could, used disk cleanup, storage management etc. , deleted all the temporary files etc..but the drive keeps filling up.  I have system restore diabled, it is at 0 bytes.  There was a windows upgrade about a month ago but there are no signs of the previous version.   I am sick of dealing with this.  This is the first HP I have been disappointed with.  So far I have purchased 5 desktops and 1 laptop and was happy with all  but this is the first time I have had issues.  however it is the first one with dual drives.  Please help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ShawnTX

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but this is a persistent problem with dual-drive PCs as (1) the default storage location is set in Windows to be the SSD (which has the least space), (2) all working files and buffers then get written to the SSD and generally not cleaned up, and (3) all Windows Updates (including version Upgrades) get written  to the SSD and NOT cleaned up.

First thing you should do is go into all your apps that do downloads, including all Browsers, and change the default download folder to one NOT on your C drive.

Second, here are some additional hints of stuff that can be done to free up space on the SSD:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Hope this helps ...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood.  I had already used the disk cleanup tools and it hardly made a dent.  The only real apps I am using are an old version of Outlook office and Microsoft Edge.  I do run Kaspersky KIS on this desktop but I have Traces disabled.

HP Recommended

@ShawnTX

OK, so did you do the DISM command with the ResetBase option, as well?  That can clean out a lot of WU stuff.

You should download and run the free version of Wise Disk Cleaner -- as it can clean stuff like temp files.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.