Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 500-160ev
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.im trying to figure out how to increase the rpm of my cpu fan (pwm) in my Desktop hp Pavilion 500-160ev.I tried to do this in the BIOS but there is no such an option.Also i updated my BIOS but i cant find anywhere where to change the fan's speed, the option is obviously locked.Third party programms wont work like SpeedFan.I've tried almost everything.Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

40C sounds perfectly acceptable.

The Noctua NH-D9L has a max speed of 2000 RPM, minimum speed of 400 RPM

So if it's running at only 800 RPM it shows me that your system is running fairly cool.

You can install the free program Real Temp, it will show your current CPU temp as well as the distance to max temp and 'thermal status'.

You can run a CPU Stress Test program to test your fan. As the program stresses your CPU to 100% you should see the fan speed ramp up.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
       If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

CPU fan speeds will vary automatically based on the load/temp of the CPU, not all BIOS's will allow control over fan speeds. You can purchase a fan speed controller but you cannot increase the CPU fan rpm past whatever it's rated speed is. 

Or you could replace your CPU fan with something better that the stock unit.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
       If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

George05

What you failed to mention is that your desktop did NOT come with Win10 preinstalled; instead, it came with Win8x.

That means that at some point, you did the Win10 Upgrade -- and that is a problem as HP does not supply Win10 drivers for your desktop.

With many of the Win8x PCs this is not a problem, but if yours is running hot, and that is why you want to increase the fan speed, then yours is one of the few that is not going to fare well in Win10.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to improve its performance: HP PCs - Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Sup...

But if the PC is running hot and continues to do that, the ONLY way to get back the original performance will be to restore the PC back to Win8x.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes my desktop had originally windows 8.I think that your point is true and i know what you mean but the funny think is that i recently bought a new cpu cooler Noctua nh-d9l (its an awesome product).i live in a very hot place here in Greece and especially in the summer my system is getting burned.My temperatures of CPU with the main cooler was 42 C and after the installation of my new product the temperature went down to ONLY 37-38C...So i got really confused and a little bit dissapointed because i was expecting many more and i paid 60 euro on a cpu cooler to have some good results.SO i checked out the rpms of the CPU fan on BIOS.The new cooler was working on 800 rpms just like the old one!

So now i have to ask 3 more questions:

1)how to go back to windows 8 without losing files 😛
2)y2ken refered about fan speed controller.is this an also good solution?
3) 40 C idle temperature is fine for intel core i5 4440 3.1 GHZ?

HP Recommended

40C sounds perfectly acceptable.

The Noctua NH-D9L has a max speed of 2000 RPM, minimum speed of 400 RPM

So if it's running at only 800 RPM it shows me that your system is running fairly cool.

You can install the free program Real Temp, it will show your current CPU temp as well as the distance to max temp and 'thermal status'.

You can run a CPU Stress Test program to test your fan. As the program stresses your CPU to 100% you should see the fan speed ramp up.

HP Recommended

OK.i got a research and i downloaded CPUID HWMonitor and HeavyLoad.The CPUID gives you the rpms of the fans in your system and HeavyLoad stresses your system at 100%.When i run HeavyLoad the rpms of my cpu fan are increasing from 800 to 1000++...that means that my system runs perfectly 😄 😄 .

Thank you y2ken and WAWood i appreciate your help

HP Recommended

You are very welcome! :generic:

Typically an after market cooler won't show much improvement at idle.

It's when the CPU is under load that you should see a significant difference in temperature compared with the stock unit. Of course it's also important to have enough case fans, use quality thermal compound on the CPU heatsink and bundle wires out of the way inside the case to improve air flow.

HP Recommended

I realize this is an older post but I found it while doing some research on how to control the cpu fan speed on my Compaq 6000 pro sff. My computer was also upgraded to win 10 from win 7. I replaced both my cpu and psu  fans with Arctic F9 PWM's I was able to get into the bios and the only thing I could find as to fan speed control was under the POWER > Thermal tabs. It allowed me to set the fan idle speed. My CPU temps tend to run close to the max. rating that CPUID HMonitor shows but I don't know how accurate that max is. My computer is running win 10 pro, 16gb of ram and an Intel core 2 duo E8600 cpu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.