Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So apparently the CPU in this PC can't be overclocked but it does come with "turbo boosting" software. How do I activate/deactivate this? How do I know if it's already on? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @cappedomnivore,

I read your post ad understand that you are looking for instructions to know how to activate turbo-boosting.

I'd like to help.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is activated when the Operating System (OS) requests the highest processor performance state (P0). The maximum frequency of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is dependent on the number of active cores. The amount of time the processor spends in the Intel Turbo Boost Technology state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Any of the following can set the upper limit of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology on a given workload:

• Number of active cores

• Estimated current consumption

• Estimated power consumption

• Processor temperature

When the processor is operating below these limits and the workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase by 133 MHz on short and regular intervals until the upper limit is met or the maximum possible upside for the number of active cores is reached.

You may refer to -Understanding Turbo Boost Technology

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Ok cool. That does help me a bit. However I have 2 more questions. Is there a way for me to access control over this option? Can I activate or deactivate? Can I manually control the speed. Like if I want it to always run at it's fastest speed, can I do that? Also I'm assuming this means that overclocking programs have no effect on CPU speeds?

HP Recommended

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is enabled by default. Disable or enable the technology with a switch in the BIOS. No other user-controllable settings to change the Intel Turbo Boost Technology operation are available. Once enabled, Intel Turbo Boost Technology works automatically under operating system control.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.