Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 510-p010z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can generate a fax from my printer but can not generate or receive one while trying to use Windows Fax and Scan. To begin with, Windows does not recognize my printer so I am not able to set up a Fax account. Where do I go from here?

Dan E. Jones
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have MS Windows there is an app called Windows Fax and Scan? It controls the printer, scanner, fax, and copy functions of the printer you have provided the settings are compatible. Are you using your PC to print with? I am not a professional technician but I have been able to manage the PC and all my devices for many years. The problem I am encountering now is baffling MS and HP. I keep asking for help hoping that that one special person will take the time and resolve my problem. My pc and printer are both HP products and I have confirmed that they are paired together and the PC is capable of controlling the Fax.  I feel certain I can solve your problem. would you be willing to revert to email so we have more liberty to share images etc. 

Dan E. Jones

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@dej4me 

You need to use software and apps from your printer to send fax or to scan. What is your printer ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I installed the software and drivers from the HP page before I ever tried to use the printer. I have no problem copying or printing from my PC the only problem I have is that I can not send a fax. When I try to fax I get the message that there is no fax account. This is only the beginning of my problems because I am not able to set up an account. I can take photos of the windows where the problems are and send them to you if that will help.

Dan E. Jones
HP Recommended

@dej4me 

We need to know what is your printer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP 2620 All in one

Dan E. Jones
HP Recommended

Where are we going with my question? I don't see any advice as to how I can resolve this problem.

Dan E. Jones
HP Recommended

@dej4me 

I believe what they are saying is that you can not use your PC to send faxes.

I have a similar printer and I have to do the faxing from the printer control panel on the device.  I have to load the originals in the tray, select Fax, enter the fax number and do that all manually.

It's been a while since I have done this but I don't recall any way to do this from the PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

If you have MS Windows there is an app called Windows Fax and Scan? It controls the printer, scanner, fax, and copy functions of the printer you have provided the settings are compatible. Are you using your PC to print with? I am not a professional technician but I have been able to manage the PC and all my devices for many years. The problem I am encountering now is baffling MS and HP. I keep asking for help hoping that that one special person will take the time and resolve my problem. My pc and printer are both HP products and I have confirmed that they are paired together and the PC is capable of controlling the Fax.  I feel certain I can solve your problem. would you be willing to revert to email so we have more liberty to share images etc. 

Dan E. Jones
HP Recommended

@dej4me 

IF you're asking me, the answer is no -- for several reasons.  First, I won't do support via email because that develops permanent dependencies that I am not willing to accept.  Second, I no longer have any HP printer-fax machines as my last one failed on me a few months ago.  Third, from what I recall, as I said, you have to do this from the device itself -- I was able to co copying using the HP app, but not faxing -- and as I no longer have that app, I can not check that out.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

You stated I have a similar printer and I have to do the faxing from the printer control panel on the device. I have to load the originals in the tray, select Fax, enter the fax number and do that all manually. You say I have to fax from my printer. I don't agree. HP assures me that my printer and PC software are designed to send faxes. Look at Smart HP, one of the functions performed is faxing. MS has the Fax and scan app that performs faxing from the PC I have been able to create the cover copies, conducted the fax test and it passed. My problem is that I can not figure out how to get the correct server names and addresses. Spectrum is not being helpful. I will not give up until I connect with the person who knows how to fill in the blanks. Thanks for trying.

Dan E. Jones
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.