Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR 5505f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi, I have a 10 year old Compaq (a Compaq Presario SR5505f) computer and it's been working fine but I can't seem to install the latest update to Windows 10, Build 1709. Does HP offer a patch for this problem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@FST-61

That means you're running the Fall Creator's Update.

For issues with individual Win10 updates, my suggestion is to go to the community Windows 10 forums:  tenforums.com

They have threads dealing with individual Windows Updates, the problems, and in some cases, the workarounds.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@FST-61

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

In a word -- NO.

HP only guaranteed Windows 10 compatibility for PCs that were build since August of 2013 -- and that is a lot newer than your PC.  So, if the newer Win10 version does not work, HP has nothing to address that.

However, Microsoft has recently released the Fall Creator's Update to all PCs, and I have used the link on this page to update two PCs that previously did NOT update:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Update Now button to begin the Update.

It will take 2-3 hours and goes through two passes: (1) preparing the Update, (2) applying the Update.

If your hardware is incompatible, it will fail to complete the first pass and fail with an error message.

Good Luck

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply and the welcome, WAwood. I think I already have the Fall Creator's Update because when I try to download it, the Update Assistant just says Thanks for updating to the latest version of Windows 10.

So I don't know what the problem is.

HP Recommended

@FST-61

To see what you are running, open a command window and enter "winver" (without the quotes).

If you are running the FCU, it will say verion 1709 build 16299.98 -- or newer.

The recent Update increases this to 16299.192, and the previous one to 16299.125.

HP Recommended

It says I'm running OS Build: 16299.15   This is the update I'm having trouble installing  KB4056892

HP Recommended

@FST-61

That means you're running the Fall Creator's Update.

For issues with individual Win10 updates, my suggestion is to go to the community Windows 10 forums:  tenforums.com

They have threads dealing with individual Windows Updates, the problems, and in some cases, the workarounds.

Good Luck

HP Recommended
Thanks, WAwood.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.