Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power Desktop Z5N95AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two problems arose at about the same time so I will describe both.  But my primary problem is inability to install software.

This is a new computer that I am still trying to configure for my work.  I was able to install a few applications, but last night one of them stopped working - it just froze up when I entered my password to connect to the internet.   I called support for that software and as directed by them, I uninstalled the software and did some file clean-up; I then shut down and after a 15 second delay re-booted and tried to re-install.  It failed, unable to download the necessary installation files.  Working further with tech support, I discovered that when I created a new user I was able to download and install that software.  The tech support suggested that the problem may be with .NetFramwork and suggested that I contact HP support.  

The other, possibly related problem is that I get an error window on boot-up telling me that OneDrive does not start up and the suggestion is that I re-install it.  However, that installation just fails with just a message that it failed.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please post the software's name & if possible it's specs (system requirments) for further support.

If the software in question is not related to HP or Microsoft, one would have to email/contact the software manufatures for support. As with the case of onedrive this is a Microsoft issue, unless your system does not mean the minimum requirements. Etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Please post the software's name & if possible it's specs (system requirments) for further support.

If the software in question is not related to HP or Microsoft, one would have to email/contact the software manufatures for support. As with the case of onedrive this is a Microsoft issue, unless your system does not mean the minimum requirements. Etc.

HP Recommended

The software is from Fidelity and it is called Active Trader Pro.  I did spend quite a while working with Fidelity's tech support and as i described before they convinced me it is not a problem with their software since it installs and works fine when I create a new user and do the installation within that new account.  The problem appears to be in my new PC's software and I am beginning to think that somehow the registry may have been corrupted.   

As for the OneDrive problem, I don't really need that application so i just removed it.  There probably are other applications that I could remove as well to save space but I'm not sure how to avoid removing something that actually is important to keep.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the added information about the software you're using. However, I would not be able to support the fidelity software issue. On the other hand, I was able to locate this information for you refernce to uninstalling or disabling one drive.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9...

HP Recommended

As I noted before, this does not seem to be a Fidelity software issue.  It is a problem with the system software on my PC.

I've encountered another symptom.  I tried resetting the PC and after a short time was greeted with the message:

There was a problem resetting your PC.  No changes were made.

So I removed all of the application that I had installed since the system seemed to be operating properly and after re-booting I tried the reset operation again with the same result.  

Is this normal?   

HP Recommended

@Pecohen,

Hopefully this will assist you.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I'm still working at it but solution #1 seems to do the job - well, sort of.   

Perhaps Microsoft made some changes, but I had to change step2 and skip over steps 3 and 4.  Also in step 5 the system would not let me rename "software".   In step 2, I had to first select Startup Repair; otherwise it worked.   Selecting the administrator account in step 3 was not an option, nor was step 4 of course.  

Aside from that, it all seemed to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.