Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One

Basically what the title says. Last week my computer started to delete all saved passwords on its own, I have gone back through almost daily re-entering all of them only to start it up the next day and have them all erased again. No one has been clearing the history and no one else uses the computer to delete the information. How can I stop this from happening again? I am getting fed up as I use this PC for work and I have lost the information to log into dozens of accounts.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@sfaltitude 

Edits - Add content in Security Software

Windows Credentials

The computer file system does not care about your passwords except in Windows Credentials.

That said, if you are having trouble with Windows Credentials, you would see an indication that this is the case - an error message or something to point to the issue.  Use the error type to narrow the search for help.

How to Fix:  Windows Credentials is Windows and help can be found by searching for (of course) "Windows Credentials"

===================================================================

Security Software

Purchased or Free versions of Security software might be managing your passwords.

You will know if this is the case - you have to set up the parameters for the task.

If you are using your own Security Software to manage passwords and that software is losing track of your passwords, this is an issue for the Security Software.  A needed update, perhaps?  A failed login to support the security software manager?  The computer is not itself "aware" of this management option and would not be removing passwords. 

How to Fix:  Check with your Security software support team or the support forum for that security software.

New Content

IF your security software does not like (is set to not tolerate) certain browser settings or entries, your Security software may be removing certain files and / or folders from the computer in which the data is stored.  This might include files / folders where the password data for the browser is stored.   Check your Security software logs and the Security software settings that control the level of aggressive behavior allowed by the Security software.

===================================================================

Web Browser

If you are saving passwords in your web browser, then the web browser is in charge of saving, managing, and keeping the passwords safe.  Web Browser passwords are generally outside of the scope of the computer's file system management.

It may be possible to Export or save your Browser data, check in the browser settings or ask for help from the browser support community.

How to Fix:  Ask your browser support to help or look at the available help online for that browser.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. After installing the HP printer setup software it corrupts something and deletes all the passwords. I did fresh install. As soon as I put in the HP software for new office jet 9010 it did it again! I'm so angry as its wasting hours of my time. I am now doing another fresh install but this time will just install HP smart and not the installation software. Hopefully this will stop it happening again...jow are you getting on?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.