Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If I’m not in need of my computer, but I’ll need again during the day or night I put it to sleep and close it. For the past few months I’ve noticed the the ac will start wirring as though the computer is coming out of the sleep mode, and if I had a video open but paused my computer will start playing the video while stills closed. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to make it stop?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Breahlynn Check that you do not have any media updates scheduled.

• Open Media Center and click on Tasks > General > Automatic Download Options
  • Un-tick "Automatically download Windows Media Center data between the following times".
  • Click Save.

Device Manager: Check there are no wake-up settings activated.

• Go to Device Manager > double click or right-click onto Network adapter.
  • Click onto your network device
  • Select Properties > Power Management tab
  • Un-tick "Allow this device to wake the computer"
  • Then press OK.

Power Button: If your computer is old, could your power button be broken or slightly stuck?

Power Surge: Check that the power socket is not faulty. Try moving to a different location with a different power supply.

Virus: Your computer could have a virus of some sort. Run a full system scan on your computer.

Scheduled Updates: Windows operating systems have tasks scheduled to run automatically. Take a look at the ‘task scheduler’ on your computer.

• Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks.
  • If yours is set to check for updates every day at 2 AM, change that time to something less disruptive. Consider changing the frequency also, or alternatively turning the automatic updates off.

A BIOS issue: You can enter the BIOS area by restarting your computer and immediately pressing the Delete key repeatedly until you enter the BIOS Utility Screen.

• Once you are in BIOS, go to the Power Options
  • Scroll down to Wake On LAN and/or Wake On Ring and change the setting to ‘disable’.
  • Press F10 and then choose YES to save and exit
  • Your computer should restart and the problem should be fixed.
  • Alternatively, in BIOS, go to "Power Management" and look at the "Wake Up on Alarm" or Auto Time On. It might be set to a daily event. Simply disable it.

Shutdown Issues: Shutdown problems in Windows can be caused by many factors including incompatible hardware, conflicting programs, or even a damaged driver. As a result, on shutdown, the system automatically reboots itself. Anything compromising the operating system during the shutdown could force this reboot.

• To stop this occurring, you need to ‘disable the “restart on system failure” feature.
  • Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click the Advanced tab.
  • Then under “Startup & Recovery,” click on Settings and under “System Failure,” untick the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

P.S: Welcome to HP Forums! 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.