Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-r074ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I want to change the default behaviour of my wireless keyboard, so I can use directly F1/F12  keys without the need to press fn key first

Many forums indicate to change it on the BIOS, or use the Esc/Lock key.

I've tried to change it on the BIOS, but there is no Action Keys Behaviour option to disable, 

My wireless keyboard doesn't have the Lock option on the Esc key, so I can't use it to switch the behaviour. There is a Lock key on the keyboard, but it is used to lock the screen only.

I'm stuck and I don't know how to change **bleep**, can you help me?

Best,

JM

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@keyser2015

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you want to configure keys to use function instead of multimedia keys,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to update the BIOS and Chipset drivers?

(Click here to find and install the same, if you haven't done it yet & then try the below steps)

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.

3. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Figure : BIOS setup window

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected
  4. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

5. Select the desired mode:
    • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

6. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I've updated the BIOS and Chipset drivers to the latest release,

But no change at all, there is no Action Keys Mode or similar entry on the BIOS menu,

Any more ideas?

Best,

JM

HP Recommended

@keyser2015

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you reinstall the keyboard drivers and retry,

if the issue persists, please create a new user account and check if that makes a difference.

If none of the above works, I recommend a push button reset: Click here

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Keyboard drivers reinstalled, no change

New user created, no change

The computer is brand new, I understand that no push button is needed.

May I assume that I can never change the f1/f12 behaviour, neither using the keyboard supplied nor configuring the computer?  To me, it seems an annoying constraint for us users. 

HP Recommended

@keyser2015

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, 

I understand your concern and to help you out, 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

did you find a way to enable Function key ... I have the same issue, and Bios doesnt allow me to enable / disable function key !

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.