Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Slimline S5510f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My original HD crashed (with pre-installed MS Windows 7.0 home editionon it) and had someone put in new HD.  They updated software to MS Windows 10 but it could not be activated without me purchasing it.  My original HD had MS Windows 7 pre-installed already.  I've tried to convert my software back to MS Word 7 using the Product Code that is listed on my computer.  But it won't convert.  What else can I do or am I SOL?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@chinadoll1960

Win 7 PCs came with stickers on them containing the original HP product key.  That will be on the case somewhere, possibly on the inside.

If the sticker is not there, then your prediction about being "SOL" may be correct -- but there may be hope.

Some Win7 PCs had their activation codes stored in the BIOS in something known as a SLIC table.  And, if you are able to boot your PC using a Windows disk, you then may be able to run a utility to retrieve that code.

What you want to do CAN be done, but it will require some considerable effort on your part because it will involve the following:
1) Finding another PC to be used to download stuff
2) Using the other PC to download an ISO file of a repair utility and burning a DVD or creating a USB stick from that
3) On the other PC, downloading a utility that can be used to retrieve the product key from the UEFI firmware of your PC
4) Booting your PC using the repair utility
5) Using a USB stick to transfer the product key utility to your PC and then running it.

So, in terms of 2), this forum page links to downloads of an ISO file that can be used to make a repair DVD or USB stick: https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html

You want to download the file Win10586PESE_x64 ISO v160707 file.

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Also, on the other PC, you want to download this key finder utility and copy it to a USB stick:  http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html

Once you have those, boot your PC from the repair utility DVD or USB stick.

Once it is up and running, insert the key finder USB stick and run the utility. 

If it works, it will display the product key of your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.