Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 BA079DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP laptop does not show the drive for dvd/cdrw. Did a fresh install of Win 10. Does not show on system or in Device Manager. The drive itself works just fine.  Does anyone know where I can get the Driver at for my drive??? Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I am not sure what is happening. Can the DVD read and write data?

Any Device Manager errors?

Is the DVD present in File Explorer? 

Is the DVD present in Disk Management?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey there!!! Yeah man funny thing for sure. 

Ok my dvd/cdrw drive is totally good and works fine..............have another computer that i swappped drives back and forth. So its not a hardware issue for sure. 

File explorer the answer is NO. Does not show up there at all!

Device Manager.............i get some unknown device and it will not update.

Disk Management............will not show up there.

Reboot and go into startup..... like dvd.....hard drive,......usb......Do not show up there at all!!!

Like I said when I put this drive into my other laptop........works like a champ with NO issues at all.

This is a brand new install of Win 10 64 bit.   Also will not uodate from win update.

Thats why I wondered if anyne had or knew where I could go for the device driver for the dvd/cd drive.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Jcuffs1974,

Is the DVD detected in the BIOS?

You may have to clear the upper and lower registry filters if the DVD is detected in the BIOS.

I would create a Restore Point (Link) before doing this and verify this restore point works.

HP Support has instructions on how to clear the registry filter at this (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

NO. Not in Bios.

HP Recommended

Hi Jcuffs1974,

Since this DVD drive works in a different device it sounds like you have a hardware or connection problem with the 15-ba079dx.

You were swapping DVD drives between two PCs. Does the second DVD drive work in the 15-ba079dx?

This is very strange if the second DVD drive works in both PCs but the problem DVD drive only works in one PC. Try reconnecting the problematic DVD drive to the 15-ba079dx.

You can't clear registry filters if the DVD drive is not detected in the BIOS or by Windows. Let me rephrase this, you can clear the filters but it won't solve the problem because the DVD drive is not a problem to Windows. The DVD drive does not exist. 

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey thank you for the reply!!

Ok to answer your questins here.

Both DVD drives work in both of the laptops. The laptop thats not reding or shwing the drive has no problems with connection to the drives. Powers up the drives and even spins a disk when theres one in it.

I have reset all the Bios to default.

The computer does not have the driver for dvd/cd drive. 

And it wont update through windows either for the specific driver.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't what else to tell you.

I thought one DVD drive on one of your PCs was not detected in the BIOS, or in File Explorer, or Device Manager.

You can't update the device driver if the device does not exist in Device Manager. Windows can't see the problem device.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey man! LOL!!!

Yeah its making me pull my dang hair out!!!! I just dont get it either. 

This laptop has been a headache since day one. Bought it off a kid. And here is the funny thing. It has shown the dvd/cd drive before.  wiped the hard drive with my dvd/cd......cleared my drive and reinstalled windows 10. Sentit into HP for service for over heating. Got it back from HP service.....new mother board...heatsink....fan.......they falshed my bios and reinstalled wind 10 again. I get it back.......still over heats........and now my dvd/cd drive will not show up at all. And I even wiped my drive using my other similar computer and reinstall win again on my drive.....still not showing dvd drive.

HP Recommended

Found out the ribben cable was bad.....just 1 pin was pulled off the board and when i checked it closer half of them pulled off! Problem solved! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.