Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, pls help to solve the problem with function keys f1-f6. I can't use them without fn key and it is very uncomfortable in games, where skills are secured to these keys .

I've already found this link about bios https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108,

but it is not good for me, because my bios has another interface and I can't find fields 'action keys mode' or 'launch hotkeys' there. And I also can't find anything about keyboard where I can change enabled to disabled.. My wired keyboard is from computer complect and I also can't find fn lock key.

I don't know what should I do with this, but I need the function keys work without fn - as it should be. Pls advaice how to change it in my bios version (HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00), 

thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Elena7,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

I'm afraid, this is by design and the computer does not have the action key mode feature. You must first press the Fn key to perform the secondary action of a function key - the action of the printed symbol on the key. 

Additional software is required to change the behavior of keyboard keys in Windows. There are several free software apps for changing the behavior of keys; such as Sharpkeys, MapKeyboard, KeyTweak, Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, and others. Search the Internet for the name of one of these software applications or "keyboard mapping software" to find and learn more.

NOTE: The Fn key is a special key controlled by hardware. It cannot be remapped using the software.

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_Singh,

It's a pity the gaming computer doesn't have the action key mode feature for comfortable game. f1-f6 keys are major skills in a lot of games and while we press fn+f1-6 in pvp content we spend a lot of time and have bad result in total. Sadness...
Sharpkeys, MapKeyboard, KeyTweak, Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator etc as I understand can change only one key to second one, I can't set combination fn+f to one some key. So it is also usless this situation.

Any way thanks for your answer.

HP Recommended

@Elena7,

If you wish, you can try to purchase a different model keyboard which might help you resolve this issue.

I hope this information helps. 

That said, take care and have a great day ahead!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.