Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elite Desk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently our Elite Desk 800 g1 desktops have become slow to the point of being unusable. Very slow to login, very slow to respond to changing applications. Sometimes a windows restore has fixed the issue at least for awhile. No viruses have been detected. Suspect perhaps a problem with a Windows update but haven't identified the cause. Running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. Office 2010 32 bit. Systems have been running fine until December 2015. Older PCs such as 8200 or 8300 models have not encountered this problem.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Same issue!  Updated Bios to latest,  Network Driver, has a Segate drive so I checked firmware-OK, Ran Anti-Virus - OK Ran Drive check of file structure- OK.   After updating the Network driver it seemed still slow, but better, then in a few days reverted.   The SFF case does not seem to have the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi , 

There’s a variety of steps you can take to improve performance on your computer and make it run faster.

I would recommend checking your hard drive space – you should have at least 15% free space available, preferably more for best performance.

If you have a lot of large media files (movies, photos, music) stored on your hard drive, moving those to an external hard drive can help speed things up. Also empty your recycle bin to free up space. Here are some other tips:

• Update software and drivers using HP Support Assistant and Windows Update
  • Update the BIOS
  • Defragment the hard drive (do NOT defrag if your computer has a solid state drive [SSD], because this can damage it)
  • Run a virus scan and remove viruses/spyware
  • Close any apps you aren’t actively using, and try not to leave a lot of things open at once
  • Use Task Manager to identify what is using the most system resources
  • Clean the computer fans and vents to reduce heat
  • Upgrade memory

I would suggest you try the steps given below in the document :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01817290

Thanks 

I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the same solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.  The computer is only a few months old and in a controled room. (:Low dust)  All you suggested was tried with the exception of installing an SSD drive.  The disk is only 15% full.  

I know the SSD especially a VNAND would increase the speed by 20 fold for disk access, but does not explain the cause for the problem in the first place.  It has been typical (Slowness) with only this model. We have all HP Model depolyed.  

All of your suggestions were good ones, thus...the thumbs up.  🙂  

PCR 27+ yrs computer hardware, CAD Supers & Jack of all I.T. excluding programming.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

recently  I purchased two hp desktop 800 g1 twr.Once i connect both machines on network they becomes very slow.

until iam forced to switch one off.there is no conflict in username or assigning of ip adressess,i even formated one of the machines and installed a different os but still the problem remained same.

any idea why this is happenning.AND HOW TO SOLVE IT.

please share.

HP Recommended
You most likely notice much hard drive activity. SSD drives show much less trouble showing performance loss.
I have deployed many of the HP 800 G1 in a corporate environment and have had the same issue.

The HP 800 G1 has had performace problems out of the box. 1. Have you updated all of the drivers? I find the support assistant very helpful, then I remove it when all is updated.
2. If excessive disk activity still happens scan for viruses.
3. Sometimes I have had a malfunctioning anti virus. McAffee is famous for it. Removing and installing it has also helped greatly.
Check event viewer for clues, sfc / scannow at cmd prompt. Also you can disable what loads at startup using adinistrative tools disable what loads at starup may help diagnise. Good luck!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.