Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1010 & HP Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My system was auto updated several days ago but I can't connect that update to the problem I have experienced.  The HP Print Assistant program on my computer will not communicate with my printer.  I have run the HP Scan & Print Doctor several times & it reports everything o.k., and I usually get a print of the last print attempt tried before running the 'Doctor'.   I even performed Restore to several days ago that did not help.  The message coming up when I click the Printer Assistant Icon is:  file///:C/Program%20Files/hp/HP/%20OfficeJet%204650%20series/Bin/HPSolutionsPortal.hta.  PLUS I get a string of other addresses that are printer/scanner (All-in-One) program addresses that I don't know what to do with.  I have run the disk that came with the printer (the printer has been doing fine since 6/17 with only one problem some months ago that was resolved) with no help or solution.  Is the H.P. Print Assistant is available online?  Can someone tell me what I need to do.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JamesVI4962

Not sure what kind of Windows Update in Windows 7 could have precipitated this sort of response - Windows 7 is somewhat stagnant these days in terms of "updates".

It sounds like the Printer Assistant "container" is corrupted.  The container is the software that "presents" the printer program on the screen.  If the .hta container is not working, the underlying software is "blind" and cannot interact with the operator (you).

If you have not done so, consider completely removing the printer software and reinstalling it.  Consider using the printer software on the website support as this is likely newer than the original CD software that came with the printer.  Does this "age difference" impact the printer software for Windows 7?  Unknown.

The following how-to presentation is relevant to (at least) Windows 10 .

Hint:  For best results, do not ignore the Restart sequences.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software

If the software is already installed and you want (need) to uninstall it:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If printer software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager

If, after the Restart, the printer is still lurking about in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Expand category Printers

If any printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

Printer Software - Installation

NOTE:  If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Download, save, and install the Full Feature Software for your Operating System version

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Video help

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

Open the printer support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and information for your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

Many thanks for the detailed instructions you sent.  I worked on this off and on and the printer will now print an item selected directly from Documents or other selected items, but I still cannot scan from my compter screen using the Printer Assistant that was downloaded with the disk that came with the printer.  As a matter of fact it has completely disappeared.  I followed your instructions about removing any other icons other than the one that was checked and appeared to be active.  I have tried to run the disk again and am getting a message saying "an installation package for the product 'TrayApp' cannot be found.  Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package "TrayApp.msi"".  The print & scan doctor checks out good.  Something ELSE; when I started looking through the HP programs on my computer I found 23 after I removed the 4650 program.  These range in date from 4/1/11 to 6/24/17.  The first ones are HP Setup Manager, HP Support Information, HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics, HP Mediasmart/Touchsmart Netflix, etc.  Some of the newer ones are I.R.I.S.-OCR HP, OCR Software by I.R.I.S. 13.0, HP Photo Creations, HP Google Drive Plugin, HP Dropbox Plugin, and so on.  I don't know which of these to remove.  All, some?  I have become quite confused as to what to do.  One program mentioned that I think is supposed to automatically select programs for deletion.  Don't know how that works.  Then I saw a report on that program that said it "carries a popularity rating of ONE, and a security rating of unknow.  If you can give me further advice it will be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@JamesVI4962

I never use "disc" software that came with the printer - the software that comes with the printer can be quickly outdated when newer versions of the software are made available in the Website support pages for the printer.  I cannot help you with this. 

In particular, TrayApp is part of older print software for printers manufactured 2011 or earlier.  It is not part of the current version of the Full Feature Software for your Officejet 4650.

Other questions...

When you are confused about a software's purpose, look up the information for that program. 

How? 

Use Google or another favorite search engine - look up the program / software name.   If you can do so, find an HP document that explains the software.  If the question has been asked previously, you might find a forum / community thread that discusses the software and any issues found by other members.

Some Examples:

Search for "HP Setup Manager windows 7"

One of the many, many results is the HP document that explains the software:

HP Notebook PCs - Setting up HP Setup Manager

Example, search for HP Photo Creations (which happens to be photo / image / project software):

HP Photo Creations

HP Photo Creations requires that you have the Full Feature Software installed on your computer.  Photo Creations is a "wrapper" that allows you to easily print your own photos, images, and projects.

If you don't want the software on your computer, you can certainly remove it.  If you remove it and then regret doing so, you can always reinstall the software.  The software is not harmful and can be installed / removed / ignored.

The OCR software is used to create editable document content.  This older version might have been installed separately or it might have been part of the Full Feature Software (printer program suite).  If you don't use the software (have no need of it), you can remove it.  If you do successfully install the Full Feature Software for the printer (from the Software and Drivers Website) and if the OCR software is reinstalled with the Full Feature Software, you can choose to ignore it.   The OCR software is not harmful.

Information for HP Google Drive Plugin, HP Dropbox Plugin (using Google search engine):

HP Printers - Setting Up and Using the Google Drive App on Your HP Printer

and

What is the Dropbox desktop application?

If you do not use one or both of the programs, you can remove (uninstall) it/them.

If you find old printer software listed in Programs and Features, these can be deleted. 

Examples include:

HP Deskjet 2130 series basic device software

HP Envy 4520 series basic device software

HP Envy 4520 series Help

HINT:  The name of the program almost always contains the name of the printer in some manner.

Remember to Restart the computer after you remove / uninstall software.

IF you are going to uninstall a bunch of programs for which you are unsure of their purpose, do create a Restore Point BEFORE you uninstall the programs.

As I recall, the following is also relevant to Windows 7:

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

If necessary (you later remove something that you should have left alone),

Use the Restore Point to back-track to the time / date before you removed the program(s) / software.  System Restore W7

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks again Dragon-Fur!  I will work on it and let you know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.