Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0075na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For maybe a month now every time I try to use Support Assistant to check and update software and drivers it fails.   

It completes Connecting to HP Servers, Downloading messages and update definition and Gathering Configuration Information, then fails on Analyzing your system and Preparing the Action List.  I have uninstalled Support Assistant using Ccleaner (Revo did not seem to be able to see it) and reinstalled the latest version from HP, but this has not changed anything.  I'd be very grateful for any ideas!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@HarrisMan,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the HP support assistant is not working correctly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you uninstall HP support assistant from your computer following the below steps and then download and install it and check whether the issue is resolved.

Download link: https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/p...

1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click System on the Settings menu.
  4. Select Apps & features from the left pane.
  5. Select an app you wish to uninstall.
  6. Click the Uninstall button that appears. If it is grayed out, this is a system app you cannot remove.
  7. Click the Uninstall pop-up button to confirm.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.  However, in my original post I did explain that I have uninstalled Support Assistant using Ccleaner (Revo did not seem to be able to see it) and reinstalled the latest version from HP, but this has not changed anything.  I did an uninstal (including all settings), then rebooted, then reinstalled, but as mentioned it made no difference.   Any thought on what to do next?

HP Recommended

@HarrisMan,

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on a HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690 and I think it's a bug in the software. I am not using the out of the box Windows edition but Windows 10 Education so I do not think that reinstalling the OS will change anything.

HP Recommended

Thank you to The_Fossette for your reply.  Can you confirm that you are a member of the Support Assistant team?  I am asking because I was told by HP that my problem would be passed to that team, but although I can see that you are an HP employee it's not clear whether you are a member of that team.  Resetting Windows would mean a huge amount of work in reinstalling all my apps etc. so I would like to avoid that if possible.  Would rolling back to an earlier version of Windows  have the same effect?  To be honest I am a bit doubtful that Windows is the problem, and I have a feeling that the other poster who said this might be right.  I hope you can understand my reluctance and are not offended, but I do want to avoid trashing all my apps if that can be avoided!

HP Recommended

@HarrisMan,

No, I am not a member of the Support assistant team. 

As per your issue description, it looks like the support assistant is unable to connect to the HP server and it can happen when there is some issue with the Internet connection (Slow internet or Internet not working) or something on the computer is blocking HP support assistant connecting to the server.

To eliminate these issues, I asked you to perform a reset on the computer and yes, I understand it is a tedious job to reinstall all the applications after a Windows reinstall.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hpas.png

This screenshot shows what I see (in German - the items "connection to HP servers", "downloading definitions", and "assembling configuration information" are checked) - why would this be an indication of a connection problem? Also, isn't there a less invasive method to test the connection?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your further reply.   It doesn't look as thought he PC is having problems connecting to the HP Servers - the steps "Connecting to HP servers" and "Downloading Messages" complete without any problem, so the PC must be connecting to HP.  I did as whether  rolling back to an earlier version of Windows  have the same effect as a reset?  Please note that I have no other problem at all and everything except Support Assistant is working fine.  In particular my Internet connection is fine.  Are you able to confirm that this issue has been passed to the Support Assistant Team - I would hate to do all the work involved in a complete rebuild of all my apps unless the Support Assistant Team have no other fix!

HP Recommended

Yes, I entirely agree, and thank you for your post.  As you correctly point out, if there were a problem connecting to the HP Servers then how would the first 2 steps have completed OK?  I don't think this is the correct explanation at all!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.