Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 700-406
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My ENVY 700-406 is almost 3 years old.  It originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit OS installed.  It's been upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit (legally).

Up until about 6 months ago, whenever I ran HP Support Assistant, the My PC tile always showed my PCs info, i.e. Product name, Serial number, & Product number.  After an HPSA update occurred about 6 months ago, the My PC tile shows NO PC information.  If I try to detect the PC by clicking the "Add an HP Device" button, it tries to find it and reports no HP devices found.

I've tried everything to resolve this, including re-installing Windows 10, updating the BIOS, and updating HPSA from the hp.com site.  Nothing helps.

Can anyone (hopefully from HP) explain where HPSA gets this information and how I can resolve this issue?  If the information resides in a Registry entry, I can easily update the registry (as long as I know which entry to update).

This issue is critical because, without knowing the specifics about my system, HPSA cannot properly update my system.

HELP?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance...

Clem

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @CPatafio,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that HPSA is not responding on your computer, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

Right-click on the Windows button and open programs/apps and features. 

Uninstall HPSA and during uninstall, you will be prompted to delete stored settings. 

Please delete it. 

Once HPSA is uninstalled. 

Restart your computer. 

Once the computer is back on the desktop screen.

Press Win + R to bring up the run dialog box. 

Type %temp% in the box and hit enter. 

This would take you to the temp folder. 

Select all and delete them. 

You might not be able to delete few files, ignore them. 

Restart your computer again and download HPSA and install it from this webpage

This should resolve the issue you are facing. 

If the issue persists, please try the steps suggested in this HP Article

Keep me posted. Good Luck. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response Chimney_83.  Even though I've tried these steps before, I tried them again.  The results was the same.  No info appears for my HP desktop.

After additional digging, I found the cause of the problem.  The Product Name, SKU Number, and Serial Number were missing from the System IDs in the BIOS.  Apparently, when I updated the BIOS near the beginning of the year, it somehow lost that information.  Unfortunately, when I tried to update the blank fields, they were not accessible.

I did further research and found how to make the fields accessible:

1. Access the BIOS (how depends on the version of Windows you're using)
  2. Go to the Security section
  3. Briefly hold down the Ctrl and "A" keys for a second then release
  4. Scroll down to and click System IDs.  The previously unaccessible fields are now accessible.
  5. Enter the missing information and press the F10 key to accept the changes
  6. Exit the BIOS by selecting Save & Exit
  7. Let the system reboot

The next time I opened HPSA, the desktop information was complete.

Clem

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved.

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.