Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-P0100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having a problem with updating the HP Support Assistant.
I have tried to run the Update but I get a message which says;
HP Support Assistant has not been installed successfully. An error occurred during installation: 3
I have also tried to install the update from a manual download but that does not work either.
As a last resort I have reinstalled the Assistant from C:\swsetup\SP96844\HPSA8x\setup.exe and now have the Old Version 8.8.24.33 running again.
After the failed attempts to update, and reinstalling the Old version, I find two Apps in Start Menu under, ‘Recently Added’, both identified as HP Support Assistant. One opens the "Old" Assistant, the other, for some strange reason, opens Microsoft Store. **bleep**???
There is also another HP Support Assistant under “H”, lower down the list of Start Apps. This one also opens Microsoft Store
There is yet another HP Support Assistant under “H” - HP Help and Support. This one opens the "Old" Assistant.
Neither of the faulty Apps in the Start Menu will Uninstall via the App Option for Uninstall.
The App under "Recent" can be removed via “More/Remove” from this list.
I can not Uninstall via the Control Panel, as, due to the faulty identification of the Apps, I do not know what I would be uninstalling.
I have run HP Performance Check and HP Operating System Check, and tried to update again but the problem persists.
Any attempt to update to the latest issue causes the problem to reoccur.
I have carried out this procedure several times, with no success, and am now contemplating trying to uninstall/reinstall in Safe Mode, but I thought I would ask the question here first.
I think something is not quite right?
I have tried System Restore but that failed to restore, and left the system as it was.
This is a brand new PC, which I have owned for 1 week, and I have spent the entire week trying to sort out this problem, with no luck whatsoever.
It goes without saying that so far this HP software has not impressed me. I can not uninstall or reinstall the Assistant, so I am in Limbo.
Incidentally during this Uninstall/Reinstall process the mouse operates in a very jerky fashion for no apparent reason ?
Any suggestions as to what is wrong would be gratefully accepted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Monty205
Thank you for posting back. 

That's not an issue at all if you're not comfortable with remote access you can just ignore that option. 

However just to mention here HP remote session is conducted by HP employee, not third party companies.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@Monty205,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you download Revo uninstaller or Ccleaner and then uninstall the HP support assistant completely.

Then download and install HP support assistant from the below link.

https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/p...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No luck I'm afraid.

I used CCleaner to uninstall, but the reference to HP Support Assistant remains in the list.

2 of the references to Support Assistant in the Start Menu have disappeared.

Reinstalling from the link you suggested just resulted in the same failure to install message as I received initially.

Oddly enough the strange Assistant Start Menus icon that opens Microsoft Store is still present.

All very odd, is it not?

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that the only way I can access the Assistant is to reinstall the old version from C:\swsetup\SP96844\HPSA8X\setup.exe.

I guess I'll just have to put up with V8, and live with the spurious start menu icons.

HP Recommended

@Monty205,

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sounds like a last resort for a brand new PC, but I'll give it a go..

I'll let you know how it goes.

HP Recommended

@Monty205,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I used the lesser of the two evil options, and  reset using the setting which allowed me to keep specific settings, etc.

It seems to have sorted out the start menu icon issue and installed V8 of the Support Assistant.

During this elongated and convoluted process, I had cause to install and uninstall several programmes that had worked satisfactorily previously.

I think that in the pristine first set-up, I installed all my software packages before the massive subsequent MS update occurred, but after the recovery I had to carry out these installations after the huge amount of MS updates had taken place.

I am assuming that because these programmes are ancient, they will not run in this latest evolution of windows 10, and that installing after the updates, rather than before, has made them non-starters. I have tried various compatibility settings but without success. Time for the bin.

I have had some of them since XP, and up until now they had functioned satisfactorily. Amongst the programmes in question are Cubase, and Autoroute 2013.

I have attempted several installations of each to no avail, and have now consigned myself to the fact that I will have to purchase the latest issue of Cubase, (not cheap) but Autoroute seems to have been discontinued, and after many Googlings it seems that many other folk are in this same Autoroute boat. I supect that these programmes are beyond the pale, or is it pail ? 😊

As regards HP Support Assistant, It works OK, and offers an update to Version 9.5.192.0 , as it did prior to the reset. The current version is 8.6.18.11.

As it is this 'miscreant' that caused me all this extra work, as regards resetting, I am loath to accept this update offer, and so for the time being I will stay with V8.

As an aside, some problems with the installation/uninstallation of Cubase and Autoroute, amongst others, caused me to download the "Ashampoo Uninstaller" programme, on a 10 day trial. It works well, and if things carry on going pear-shaped, then it will come in handy.

I have a few more software packages to re-install yet, so if I disappear off the face of the interweb-thing, then it is not because I have no further wish for conversation, but because I have entered a big black hole in cyber-space and am incomunicado.

Thanks for your help.

Looking at a couple of other adjacent posts, it would seem I am not alone in having trouble with HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that the Uninstaller programme contains a record of each and every programme and App that is installed on the PC. It also lists the current status of each.

Guess what ?

The only Programme/App with any sort of ‘status’ issue is “HP Support Assistant”

The attribute annotated against the Support assistant is “Unlogged Installation”.

I am assuming that this relates to some sort of registry problem, as it does show up in the control panel Programmes/Features listing.

Hence my inclination not to accept the Assistant’s offer to Update to the latest version.

Maybe when I have sorted out all my other Software problems, I just ‘might’ use the Uninstaller to remove the HP Assistant altogether, and then install the latest version from the HP web site.

Does that sound like a plan ?

HP Recommended

Following on from the recent PM, I have uninstalled Support Assistant using 'Ashampoo Uninstaller'.

I then Reinstalled the Assistant from the recommended HP Web Site.

All now seems to be in order, except for the fact that I have a redundant HP Assistant icon firmly stuck at the right hand end of the task bar, next to the new icon which actually accesses the Support Assistant.

This redundant icon does nothing; it just sits there, stubbornly, and nothing I have tried will remove it.

Most odd ! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.