Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One Desktop - Model 24-b016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Let me start by saying, I'm not certain I've chosen the correct board for this question, so I'm just giving it a shot.

HP Support Assistant sends me available updates and gives each one a priority.  They don't ever seem to  indicate whether the particular update is for my specific desktop model.  As an example, I have the following update available that says, "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver:  This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage  Technology Driver for the supported desktop models and operating systems".  That phrase "for the supported desktop models and operating systems" drives me crazy.  How  the heck am I supposed to know if I need to, or should, download the update for my particular desktop model?  Am I just to assume that I only get updates sent to me that are relevant to my model and are "supported" by my model?  I would appreciate it if someone could clarify what I see as ambiguous (I hate ambiguity).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Randleman

HP Support Assistant uses your model / product to find updates for your computer.

With the exception of the BIOS update - which, in my opinion, should always be separately downloaded, saved, and installed manually, HPSA treats your systems updates as "for your system".

If you wish to check, you can certainly do so at your computer's Software and Drivers Website.

Software and Drivers - HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-b016

Expand the list - read the information provided for the update.

Caveat:  HPSA is an "update" software / program.  If some version of the software / driver is not already installed, HPSA will not (cannot) find and install that software / driver.  This means that there might be something in the Software and Drivers Website that is not found by HPSA.  This is deliberate, that is, this is the way the HPSA is written.

If you decide to do so, you can also set HPSA to "notify" you but not automatically download and install updates.  This gives you the opportunity to check for updates, check your Software and Drivers Website, and then decide whether you want to install.

Open HPSA > Settings > set to "notify" you instead of automatically install updates:

Select "Check for updates, but let me choose which updates to download and install"

Click Save to exit and save your change(s)

Restart the computer and log in

If you want HPSA to automatically update (as opposed to notifying you do run the program), edit Settings again to set HPSA to "automatic" updates > Save changes.  Restart the computer and log in.

If HPSA ceases to work as expected, you can uninstall it, Restart your computer, then download-save-install a fresh copy of the software.

Option - The HP Support Assistant

Install the Latest version of HP Support Assistant

Remove the old version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete" cleanup of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:  When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

If you also wish (or need) to remove the HP Support Solutions Framework (from Programs and Features), FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant so the Framework software can be removed.

Download, Save, Install the latest version of the HPSA to your computer

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator and install.
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA:

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-b016

Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Randleman

HP Support Assistant uses your model / product to find updates for your computer.

With the exception of the BIOS update - which, in my opinion, should always be separately downloaded, saved, and installed manually, HPSA treats your systems updates as "for your system".

If you wish to check, you can certainly do so at your computer's Software and Drivers Website.

Software and Drivers - HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-b016

Expand the list - read the information provided for the update.

Caveat:  HPSA is an "update" software / program.  If some version of the software / driver is not already installed, HPSA will not (cannot) find and install that software / driver.  This means that there might be something in the Software and Drivers Website that is not found by HPSA.  This is deliberate, that is, this is the way the HPSA is written.

If you decide to do so, you can also set HPSA to "notify" you but not automatically download and install updates.  This gives you the opportunity to check for updates, check your Software and Drivers Website, and then decide whether you want to install.

Open HPSA > Settings > set to "notify" you instead of automatically install updates:

Select "Check for updates, but let me choose which updates to download and install"

Click Save to exit and save your change(s)

Restart the computer and log in

If you want HPSA to automatically update (as opposed to notifying you do run the program), edit Settings again to set HPSA to "automatic" updates > Save changes.  Restart the computer and log in.

If HPSA ceases to work as expected, you can uninstall it, Restart your computer, then download-save-install a fresh copy of the software.

Option - The HP Support Assistant

Install the Latest version of HP Support Assistant

Remove the old version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete" cleanup of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:  When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

If you also wish (or need) to remove the HP Support Solutions Framework (from Programs and Features), FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant so the Framework software can be removed.

Download, Save, Install the latest version of the HPSA to your computer

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator and install.
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA:

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-b016

Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur:  I very much appreciate the time and effort you took to reply to my question regarding updates for my desktop via HP Support Assistant.  Your thoroughness more than met my expectations and definitely answered my question to my satisfaction.  You went above and beyond for me; thank you.  I feel much more confident now to make decisions about whether or not to download/install available updates.

HP Recommended

@Randleman

Excellent.  

You are welcome.

Thank you for your kind words.  We are "here to help".  Smiling.

Happy Computing!

Merry Christmas 2018Merry Christmas 2018

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.