Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z240 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have tried several times to use the HP Support Assistant for the latest drivers, files, updates for my machine.

I only recently got this machine, and the HP Support Assistant always fails on the Analyzing Your System phase.

It completes all of the other steps successfully.

Because the analyzing your system step fails, it never has any recommendations or updates for my machine.

I am assuming since my machine is new that it needs some updates.

I have reinstalled twice with the same result.

I don't know what Windows 10 in S mode is, so I dont know if that is the problem that is causing my issue.

The only thing I have customized in Windows is my background is set to black for the Windows screens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My machine is under warranty but for some reason the HP system says there is no help available for my machine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mrg_50_68 

"S" mode is a Microsoft invention for running Windows 10.  

Introducing Windows 10 in S Mode

Two models fall into the "Z240 Workstation" series:

HP Workstations & Thin Clients (2)

At least the "small form factor" workstation (and possibly the tower version) can make use of the Softpaq Download Manager to configure / manage your HP Software and Drivers.

SDM includes the ability to isolate and install the BIOS update, a fussy and somewhat risky update that can sometimes be (at this writing) problematic for the HP Support Assistant.  (It is still recommended that you select-download-save-install the BIOS update by itself, that is, avoid updating other drivers at the same time you update the BIOS.)

Assuming your business class machine is supported, the Softpaq Download Manager provides a stable and reliable method to update and manage your HP software and drivers.

Driver Management for Business class computers (SDM)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Softpaq Download Manager - HP Software installations / updates / management

Business class computers support a robust, comprehensive software tool for updating and managing HP Software and Drivers:  Softpaq Download Manager (SDM)

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HP Support Assistant

If you must (or choose to) use the HPSA, about the best you can do is to "clean up" and install a fresh copy of the software.  See the steps below for the "complete cleanup" and installation of the software.

Will that help?  Unknown.  

Procedure Details - HP Support Assistant – Remove and Install

Read sections, then decide how to proceed.

Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete cleanup” of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:

• When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

• HP Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.

1. FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Uninstall HP Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features
  4. Restart the computer and log in.

NOTE: Framework (re)installs with the HPSA

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click and uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@mrg_50_68 

"S" mode is a Microsoft invention for running Windows 10.  

Introducing Windows 10 in S Mode

Two models fall into the "Z240 Workstation" series:

HP Workstations & Thin Clients (2)

At least the "small form factor" workstation (and possibly the tower version) can make use of the Softpaq Download Manager to configure / manage your HP Software and Drivers.

SDM includes the ability to isolate and install the BIOS update, a fussy and somewhat risky update that can sometimes be (at this writing) problematic for the HP Support Assistant.  (It is still recommended that you select-download-save-install the BIOS update by itself, that is, avoid updating other drivers at the same time you update the BIOS.)

Assuming your business class machine is supported, the Softpaq Download Manager provides a stable and reliable method to update and manage your HP software and drivers.

Driver Management for Business class computers (SDM)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Softpaq Download Manager - HP Software installations / updates / management

Business class computers support a robust, comprehensive software tool for updating and managing HP Software and Drivers:  Softpaq Download Manager (SDM)

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HP Support Assistant

If you must (or choose to) use the HPSA, about the best you can do is to "clean up" and install a fresh copy of the software.  See the steps below for the "complete cleanup" and installation of the software.

Will that help?  Unknown.  

Procedure Details - HP Support Assistant – Remove and Install

Read sections, then decide how to proceed.

Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete cleanup” of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:

• When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have your personal data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

• HP Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA.

1. FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Uninstall HP Solutions Framework software from Programs and Features
  4. Restart the computer and log in.

NOTE: Framework (re)installs with the HPSA

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click and uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

that info was very helpful.

One question however, does the Softpaq analyze what you already have to determine what you need to download?   In other words, how do I know whether the software it's telling me to download is already up to date?

I would like to assume if it's on the list that means the update is necessary (depending on the severity).

Before I begin downloading, I would like to know for sure.

HP Recommended

@mrg_50_68 

You are welcome.

The system does a check / analysis .

The program must be able to find your computer, of course.  As I mentioned, I found the SFF version of the Z240.

Assuming your system is supported:

Open the SDM software

"Show this computer"

"Check for Updates"

At this point, the software will check what is installed, what is on the update list, what show you the results.

If you have not done so, when you have time, do take a few minutes to read / scan the help files. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

ok, its mostly working.

There's a few updates that dowload ok - and say they install, but keep coming up on the top of the list as if they are not really installed.

I am presuming that means they failed?

I am downloading the remainder just to see how things look after that.

Thanks again for your help

HP Recommended

@mrg_50_68 

All Commentary - nothing beyond here is "fact" or "statements of policy" from HP

The SDM software is good in my considered opinion.  The program is not absolutely fool-proof in that there are circumstances in which what appears to be a perfectly good update will not install no matter what you do to it. 

Sometimes it is the order in which the updates are selected: The Chipset, for example, likes to be first in line like the bully of the school yard.

Sometimes the "issue" is a mystery that starts out being worth your time to investigate... and over time just irritates you or actually ends up resolving itself.  This can happen for the reasons of "order of events" or if something in your Operating System changes to allow / require the update to be installed.  (This is an admitted generalization - no emails, please.)

My personal advice:  Ignore the more troublesome updates.   They are either not really needed or there is something in your File System (on the computer) that makes the update incompatible in some way.   IT people cannot accept this advice; we are compelled to dig, sweat, and tunnel our way through these mischief makers.  Nonetheless, it is good advice for everyone else.

Unless you are having real driver issues, it is usually sufficient to let the system take care of itself in this regard.  IF there is something wrong in the SDM software and the engineers identify the problem, a new version of the software will become available and your SDM will offer to update itself.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Screenshot_2.jpgHP Spectre, windows 10 ver.1809.

I remove and install HP Support Assistant and HP Framework.

HP Support Assistant always fails on the Analyzing Your System phase.

HP Recommended

I've followed the steps outline and am also experiencing the same problem. 

HP Recommended

you can either try the suggestion from a previous post for the SoftPaq manager, or better yet, HP offers another product called Image Assistant that may work for you.

I downloaded it and tried it and it works!

You need to google it to find it, but it is certainly worth a shot.

I am told the problem that both you and others experience may have something to do with what type of desktop/laptop you are using against the HP Support Assistant.   

HP Recommended

I always want to use HPSA. No log records for this error? thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.