Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running HP Support Assistant version 8.8.24.33. When I run "Check for updates and messages", it runs through the steps but the "Downloading messages and updates definitions" step always displays an X in a circle and there are no updates listed as available. Any idea what is going on?

Update: I uninstalled HPSA and HP Support Solutions Framework and reinstalled HPSA. Now when I check for updates and messages, both the "Downloading messages ...." step AND the"Analyzing your system" step have the x in a circle. Ran it again and "Preparing action list" is also X'd.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I took the laptop to a computer repair shop and they were able to fix all of the problems I was having. One of the key things they found was an issue with Intel firmware. They also were able to get a BIOS update on that HPSA wasn't sjhowing before. HPSA now works.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@taherte2
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

To resolve most HP Support Assistant issues by downloading and installing the latest version of HP Support Assistant from the HP Support Assistant website.

Use the information in this document to troubleshoot specific HP Support Assistant issues: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03601631

Follow these steps to fix the problem: Turn off antivirus software and the firewall. Go to the HP Customer Support website. Enter your product number to find an updated version of HP Support Assistant for your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I uninstalled HPSA and HP Support Solutions Framework again, turned off the anti-virus and firewall (Norton), and downloaded the latest version of HPSA again. It is the same version that I installed before. After the installation I restarted the computer, which re-started system security, and ran HPSA again. It still fails to download messages.

I did NOT select the option to uninstall user preferences when I uninstalled the app. Does that matter?

HP Recommended

@santhoshh327

I would suggest trying uninstalling user preferences and reinstall the HPSA, 

If it fails, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I repeated the uninstall using the option not to save user preferences. Even though I am an admin on this device I reinstalled using "run as administrator". HPSA still does not download messages and definitions. I'll contact support per your recommendation.

HP Recommended

How does HPSA work? When I "check for messages and updates", shouldn't it always download something, or does it only download NEW updates? I thought it downloads all of the available updates (downloading messages and updates definition), then gathers what is already installed (gathering configuration information), compares what is available to what is installed (analyzing your system), and displays those updates that are available but not installed (preparing the action list). Shouldn't it always connect to the HP servers and download what is available?

HP Recommended

@taherte2
To get the answer to this question, the HP Support Assistant helps keep your computer in working order by finding updates and providing troubleshooting tools.
If there are any available updates, they begin installing automatically. Click here to know more about Using HP Support Assistant (Windows)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks but your response does not get at what I was trying to understand. Should the update process ever fail to download messages and update definitions? Should the download portion of the update process ever fail and have the X in a circle? Shouldn't there always be something to download although there may not be anything to install?

HP Recommended

@taherte2
Software driver update process might fail due to many reasons like internet connectivity issue, corrupted file, However, by reinitiating, the process HP Support Assistance will install the available driver. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Every time I run the "check for messages and updates" option the "downloading messages" portion fails and displays the X in a circle. EVERY time. That doesn't seem normal or correct to me. I have uninstalled and re-installed at least three or four times and on-line support (chat) went through the process twice. HPSA still fails on the download step. Where do I go from here? I need to be able to keep my system current.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.