Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop 750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Encountered the following issue with HP Support Assistant reporting incorrectly. I have two HP devices (Desktop 750-124 and laptop ENVY x360 Convertible).  Recently HP-SA on my desktop machine is reporting that I need to install a bunch of IMPORTANT updates on my laptop. When I look at HP-SA on the laptop, I see that all those updates have already been installed, and HP-SA on the laptop itself reports that NOTHING is needed on the laptop, So I don't need to do anything, except the red exclamation mark showing on the Desktop is misleading and annoying.  I thought perhaps that removing HP-SA on the desktop and reinstalling would fix the problem, but it did not. Anyone encountered this problem?  Any suggestions for fixing it --other than putting a piece of masking tape over the taskbar 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Bflat809

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. In Windows, search for an open Uninstall a program.

2. On the Programs and Features window, select HP Support Assistant, then click Uninstall.

Figure : Uninstall HP Support Assistant

Uninstall screen from the Control Panel with HP Support Assistant highlighted
  3. Click Yes on the Programs and Features screen to confirm you want to uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Figure : Uninstall confirmation

Confirmation screen to uninstall HP Support Assistant with Yes selected
  4. Restart your computer to complete the process. Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake,

As I mentioned in my original post, I already tried un-installing and re-installing (twice :-)).  That did not fix the problem.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@Bflat809

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Are you serious??? Factory reset on my desktop because your HP Support Assistant on the desktop is reporting incorrectly about what should be done to my laptop? Both Desktop and laptop are working fine and HP Support Assistant reporting and working well on the respective machines. So it is just the remote reporting on the desktop that is failing.  y solution is just to remove the laptop from reporting in the desktop HPSA. If you think that this really requires a factory reset, I would need more evidence before enduring that pain. No disrespect intended, but your proposed solution seems a bit draconian for this apparently inconsequential problem. 

HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@Bflat809 

@Echo_Lakeis giving you options meant to resolve the conflict between the local reporting and remote monitoring results using the HP Support Assistant.  Extreme action might actually be necessary to resolve the described symptoms, and - at least for a while - rebuilding the system(s) might provide the expected remote monitoring results.

My Opinion

Remote reporting using HP Support Assistant is not always correct.  Not.

Unfortunate.

HPSA is not remote deployment software nor does it always reliably monitor remote system(s).

The limitation is annoying to those seeking use HPSA to remotely monitor computers for this purpose.

Reloading the HPSA (and its companion software) on the local computer does not resolve the condition for monitoring remote systems (those computers added to "My Devices").

The easier solution is to ignore the limitation and not use HPSA to monitor any except the local machine on which the software is installed.

What else?

Find / purchase software that can be used on Consumer grade systems for the purpose of remote monitoring and perhaps updating manufacturer software and drivers.

Note that the reference to "consumer" grade system is perhaps important. 

For example, HP provides (free) business class / commercial system level software that can monitor and deploy updates on both local and remote machines.  This software does not work on consumer grade systems.  Reference HPIA (HP Image Assistant), and SSM (The HP System Software Manager).

What else?

Next time you are thinking about replacing your tech, consider upgrading to business class machines.  The benefits are many compared to the additional upfront cost to purchase.

What else?

There are other solutions - it requires a deeper knowledge of the file system and at least a bit of coding experience to create the necessary monitoring report on the local computer.  Additionally, you'll need to have a method to transfer that local report to the desired monitoring station / system / workstation / file storage manager.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.