Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
24-g237c All in One desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP recently updated various tools delivered by the HP Support Assistant.  I've used the Operating System Check in the past - it worked normally as far as I could tell and completed the check successfully in several minutes.  The current version was updated recently.  I don't know the version number.  It doesn't appear to be working properly - I've run it several times and it never completes.  To be clear, I've let it run for a considerable period of time.  I did provide feedback for HP Support.  But HP will not send a response for any action taken, so I don't know whether the tool is working normally or not.

Is there any knowledge whether this tool is malfunctioning?  If so, is there a recommended fix.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dan2012

Please run an SFC scan first and then uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Next create a New user Account and then download the HPSA

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Dan2012 Did you know that HPSA redirects application updates based on model-series and is not specific to your computer?

(Basically, the application gets updates based on the entire series, is not specific to your serial number, hence there are certain updates that can be skipped)

Although, if your applications aren't working and the updates are necessary, make sure you download the latest version available for HPSA from the Official HPSA website.

If yes, please follow the below steps to ensure the options are not set to Never :

1. Open HP Support Assistant and click the Settings button.
  2. On the Health Analysis tab, select "Every day or week" from the Frequency drop-down list, and then click Save.
  3. Click the Tune up tab, select the "your preference" from the Frequency drop-down list, and then click Save.
  4. Restart the computer and try again.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - yes, I do understand that - worked for HP for 25 years as a program or project manager so I get the rollout plans for these tools.  None of my settings are set to never.

Let's close it - it's not that important to me. Cheers, Dan

HP Recommended

@Dan2012 Well, you could try reinstalling it, although, that's your call, if its not that important, you can always remove it and use the HP website the more traditional way of updating drivers when need be.

That said, I hope you have a good day and let us know if you need anything else.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.  I did delete and update the Support Assistant with the latest version - still not working correctly.  I don't feel you answered my question, actually.  I do thank you for your time, however. I've indicated that I've accepted your answer and will continue to look on my own.  Cheers, Stay well. Dan

HP Recommended

@Dan2012

In the future, if you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi - I'm continuing to try to make HP Support Assistant work - I've used the tool over the years and suddenly I'm having all these issues.  So, I uninstalled the version I was having issues with and downloaded the newest release from HP.Com: version 8.8.26.13; framework 12.16.22.11; configuration files 8.1.0203.1551.  The version recognizes my HP printer but asks me to add my desktop (add to my devices).  I thought it would be reversed - automatically recognize my all-in-one and ask to add my printer.  When I add the computer and try to check for updates it connects to the HP Computers but does not go further - all remaining steps reflect an X next to them.  And when I finish the computer has not been added. 

So, it appears I suddenly have a compatibility issue.  Any advice? Dan

HP Recommended

@Dan2012

Please run an SFC scan first and then uninstall the HP Support Assistant

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Next create a New user Account and then download the HPSA

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm, KrazyToad.  Great explanation - I had forgotten about that SFC scan. It's a good one.  Support Assistant is loaded properly and working normally.  Thanks so much for your help. Cheers. Dan

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.