Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6213w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Within the past week, my system now pops this message up on my display everytime I boot up my desktop computer.

I've been trying to learn how to stop this from occurring or if I should.  I have read information that is conflicting so I thought I would go directly to HP people to see if I could learn facts.   Can anyone help me?  

Update:  I clicked "yes" and it displayed a message about HP Scanning software.  I do not have a flatbed HP scanner.   Is this a file needed for other reasons, e.g. important to system in some other way?   I do see in Windows System Configuration that it is a StartUp Item  -->  Driver Updater Application, Manufacturer HP, with the command as seen in the image I posted here.  Sooo, is this needed to update anything on my HP pavilion system or can I safely disable as a Startup Item?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@nw-woman

Thanks for the response.

In this case, I would request you to try disabling it from the start-up items, to be in the safer side. 

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@nw-woman

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer.

I will be delighted to assist you here.

In this case, If you don't have the flatbed scanner, then you may un-install the software.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the speedy help.  🙂  

I double-checked.  I see again that there is no HP scanner program to uninstall.  Here's a snip of what I see in Programs/Features:   https://gyazo.com/6c4d64c8660cae9a3e7aa9714eeb80c7      

I also searched on "scan" and it returned nothing. 

I had an HP scanner on XP system which I upgraded long ago to Win 7 on a new machine, bringing files over.  The message in my original post just started popping up within the past few weeks, oddly.  

I do have HP support assistant and do notice that the startup error message is coming from HP Update.  Is it safe for me to uninstall HP Update as that is listed in the installed programs?  

I'm trying to be very careful so I apologize if I'm asking too many questions.  

Thank you so much for you help.  I do appreciate it greatly.

HP Recommended

@nw-woman

Thanks for the response.

In this case, I would request you to try disabling it from the start-up items, to be in the safer side. 

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK.  🙂  I will disable and reboot.  I will then come back and let you know if that eliminated it.  THANK YOU.

HP Recommended

@nw-woman

That would be great, Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done!  And yes, when I disabled HPupdate.exe in start-up the message no longer appears.  

I have a final question.  If HPUpdate.exe was replaced by HP Support Assistant and does the same thing, why is it advisable to disable HPUpdate rather than delete from installed programs? 

Thank you.  

HP Recommended

@nw-woman

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, you may un-install it, The reason being I asked you to disable it and check, is to make sure that's the one which was causing the issue. 🙂

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Smart!  That makes sense.  I learned process for me to use in the future.   Excellent advice.  

Thank you so very, very much.   

HP Recommended

@nw-woman

Hurray!!! I'm delighted to hear that it's working! 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.