Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

On my Windows 7 machine, I used to have an Officejet printer installed. After some frustration, I un-installed the printer and the associated software.

I recently noticed that 2 HP services are being automatically run on the machine everytime it starts up. They are: Pml Driver HPZ12 and Net Driver HPZ12. Why?

I am not using any HP printer anymore. How can I remove this software from my machine?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi bpcan,

I'll will be happy to help you out. The two HP services where are you noticing them; in the task manager, in your add / remove programs or somewhere else? What type of Officejet did you just uninstall?

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

It was the Officejet 4500.

I was checking to see what was running/loading on my machine because it takes a long time to load the Desktop and among the services that load automatically was Net Driver HPZ12 and Pml Driver HPZ12.

I can see them listed in Task Manager under Services.

I do not have any HP printer/software listed in Add/Remove Programs.

Hopefully you can help me banish them from my system.

TIA

HP Recommended

Hi bpcan,

We will look at doing what is called a Level 3 uninstall. Do the following steps:

1: Click on your start menu and search for %temp% and open up the Temp foldler

2: In the Temp folder look for a folder that starts with 7zS### where the # will be random number.

3: Then open the util folder

4: Then open the ccc folder

5: In there look for Uninstall_L3

I DO NOT recommend doing the Level 4 uninstall.

If you don't have that 7zSxxx file, then just download the software using the link below or run your CD. After it has extracted cancel the installation and the 7zS### should be there.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
The folders and files described were not found even after doing a full install (stopping after the extraction).
I decide to use the Enterprise Un-install Scrubber utility and it provided the uninstall_l3 bat file which I ran. It tried the routine, but would crash at Step 10 with 80% done. It ran other routines and then asked to re-boot.
I did all of that, but the driver is still present on the machine. However, it is no longer running. It shows up as STOPPED in the Task Manager. I guess I will never get rid of these drivers as it is not worth a fresh Windows installation.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You will need to stop the "Pml Driver HPZ12" service in services.msc, then the service can be removed (though not the associated files) by opening an elevated command prompt and giving the command:

sc delete "Pml Driver HPZ12"

This is related to the installation and subsequent incomplete removal of a HP print/scan driver.

One less unnecessary service is always a good thing.

Regards,

Adam

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.