Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Kyara

Im am on a hp-all-in one computer and two days ago i  deleted all my old files and apps , I put in new files but today i restarted my computer and all my new files were gone and all the old files and apps came back please help me recover my New files.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kyara1 

I am sorry you lost your files.

This is not something for which we can offer any real help.

We don't know precisely what you did. 

Note that "what happened" likely does not change the outcome or matter to the result.

More importantly, we cannot know what happened to the data ("new files") that you meant to save.

Thoughts on the subject - might be worth reading...

"Applications" that are removed - if they are part of your Windows Operating System, might be reinstalled at start from drivers / apps stored on the computer.

Private data, that is, folders and files in your own account can be moved, lost, copied, or corrupted.

There are lots of things you can do to your own data that the Operating System will allow you to do, not protect you from the consequences, and not care about it afterwards.

Check the Recycle folder - your "new" data is not likely there, but it is worth looking.

What else?

For example...

• Check where the files are supposed to be stored - regular folder as compared to OneDrive (Cloud storage) for example.
  • Check whether the data you changed was located in a "Temp" folder - nothing in a Temp folder is useful long term - "stuff" can happen to any file in any Temp folder.
  • Check whether that location is "synced" with other computers.

What?

Data that is synced across locations (local and remote) might be doing so using a Master file manager and a Client file manager software.  Files that are updated on the client might be changed - but would be overwritten later by the Master file manager and its data.  NOTE:  File synchronization does not usually "just happen" - it requires that you are at least aware that you set up the options.

One possibility (just for personal data):  Retrieve the files from your backups!

For example

If you have (previously) enabled File History,

If File History had a chance to back up that data before it was lost,

you can retrieve the files from the File History backup.

If you don't recognize File History Backups, you likely never enabled it and used it to back up your data.

References

Performing a Windows File History Backup

and

Microsoft - File History in Windows

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.