Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4515s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, there was a problem today, I need to download a BIOS update from an FTP server from HP, but I don't know how to register on it. Please help.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@huhu05 -- is this your computer: HP ProBook 4515s Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

I see FOUR files for updating the BIOS.  Which one have you selected?

Why are you trying to update the BIOS?  There are far too many postings on this discussion forum with headings like "BIOS update failed, turning my computer into a brick".  I recommend that you have a very good reason to update the BIOS, before you attempt to do it. There are many "problems" that CANNOT be fixed by a "BIOS Update".  Please describe the exact problem that you are experiencing.

HP Recommended

@huhu05 

I would strongly concur with @itsmyname in leaving this alone.

Everyone seems to think that factory resets and BIOS updates are "miracle cures" for anything that ails a PC -- when the reality is that they cause far more problems than they fix.

A failed factory reset will trash your file system; a failed BIOS update will turn your PC into an "electric brick"!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for answer, now I will accurately describe my problem: After updating the BIOS to the version f.20 (68cpp) at first there was nothing wrong with the notebook, but after I replaced the processor with a new one (model AMD Turion Ultra ii m620 my notebook first won't to turn on the fan was spinning but the screen did not light up, but after several attempts to turn it on, it worked, the screen light up the laptop started with issuing a BIOS error(I no longer remember what error he gave, it seems that after something the BIOS was restored, I'm not sure), I did not attach much importance to this and continued to check the laptop after replacing the processor, notebook determined the processor correctly, the exact model and the like, I decided to put the laptop into sleep mode, after I tried to turn it on, it did not respond to any of my actions, so I turned off by turning off the power and the battery, when I turn it on the screen did not turn on, the button "CapsLock" burns exactly 5 times, and HDD. No matter how much I waited, the notebook would not turn on normally. I left it off overnight and waited for it to turn on, but nothing happened. I changed the processor back to the old one, removed the Bios battery, removed the RAM, but nothing helped. Even after 2 days of trying to turn it on, the notebook never worked. For clarity, I will say the exact laptop model: HP Probook 4515s 68cpp, ati 4330.

HP Recommended

I will answer the question in advance: why am I I think the problem is in the BIOS? Firstly, this is due to the fact that the other components of my laptop were functioning normally, nothing was overheating (the fan was working very hard). Secondly, the same a problem met by another user on this forum- https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Probook-4515s-won-t-turn-on/td-p/505086... , but this way the problem was solved only if the laptop could still turn on, in my case the laptop does not turn on, that laptop, unlike mine, had slightly different characteristics, that one had BIOS 68GPI, my laptop have BIOS 68CPP. I have also met people with the same problem in other forums as well. But alas, nowhere was there a unanimous decision. Many people blamed Bios for everything. Therefore, I realized that the problem could most likely be in the BIOS. 

HP Recommended

@huhu05 -- try the following on your laptop:

1. Shutdown Windows

2. Remove the battery

3. Disconnect the AC adapter

4. Press-and-hold the ON/OFF button for a few seconds, to drain any "residual" power

5. Reconnect the battery (or the AC adapter)

6. Power on your computer.

the button "CapsLock" burns exactly 5 times

Do a search on "HP Beep Codes", and try to match your pattern with the HP documents.

Anything?

HP Recommended

Hello, sorry for the long silence.   After comparing 5 Caps Lock blinks with information I found on the Internet, I found the answer that 5 blinks speak of "General Motherboard Failure", which is rather strange because the concept is quite extensible. In such cases, the northbridge is often blamed, but can replacing the processor just take it and break it? I'm not sure about that. I'm stumped.

HP Recommended

@huhu05 -- can replacing the processor just take it and break it?

Can you return to the original processor?

The title of one James Bond 007 movie was "Never Say Never Again".

It is a reference to the actor who previously played the role NOT wanting to take the role in another 007 movie.

Even though one does not expect that a processor change will "break" the motherboard, it never is impossible to get that effect.        S*IT happens.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your support and advice. I tried to bring the laptop back to life by replacing the processor with the one that was before the upgrade, but alas, this did not work. Before AMD Ultra Turion II M620, I had a Turion M520 processor, replacing it with it also did not happen, and even after waiting a little, the laptop did not change its state. Then I decided to go back to the first processor, namely the M320, but alas, it didn't show any results either.

HP Recommended

@huhu05 -- nothing was overheating (the fan was working very hard).

When you power-on a computer, it first runs the POST (Power On Self Test).

Part of the POST includes temporarily speeding-up the fan to 100% speed, and 100% noise, and then reducing the speed to a lower-level that is appropriate for the internal temperature of the processor & motherboard.

So, if your laptop's fan at 100%, this is a sign that the POST has NOT successfully completed. The failure of the POST is usually the cause of the repeating of those 5 "blinks".

I hope that you have not "flexed" the motherboard when changing processors, and caused a "crack" in the motherboard. Such cracks in the circuit-board can create "intermittent" behaviour, e.g., sometimes the circuits work fine, and sometimes there is an "open" circuit that prevents the motherboard from a normal POST and then a normal start-up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.