Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z1 entry tower G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For some reason, the program HP Updates is not on my PC (workstation) so I can't remove it.

I've been trying to get HP support via email for weeks, in vain. The support techs know nothing about it which is not helpful at all. Their reply was - we can't control windows updates, whatever MS decides needs to be udated on a computer that's their decision.

Really?.....I don't accept that, as that's nonsense. MS has nothing to do with the hardware of my computer which is HP.

I can see in my Windows 10 updates - where thanks to the self-centred wisdom of Microsoft the users no longer have a say which to download and which to discard - that they include mysterious HP updates - with no description.  I can't stop them, can't remove them from Windows Updates directly - so need to find another way. I always control what gets installed in my computer regardless of the company so no - I will not allow HP to install anything they believe is needed without any explanation  - I decide on that.

These are software updates, not hardware or drives which get updated through HP Support Assistant.  I suspect that these are updates of HP Sure Click which prevents malware downloads and opening malicious pages from the internet.

Could someone give me a solution please to remove HP software updates from the Windows 10 updates OR provide information on what exactly those updates are.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

nothing miraculous, I just modified this

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Jazz888 

1. For HP updates, you can turn off from HPSA (HP Support Assistant). Please use

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-disable-the-hp-support-assistant

2. For Windows updates, you also need to turn off from Windows Updates

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply however it does NOT answer my question.

rather then giving me your standard replies to this question (which I have seen before) which are irrelevant to my question, could you possibly answer my questions directly, noting that:

1.  I specifically said that this issue has nothing to do with the HP Support Assistant -  so please don't repeat this information.

2. My question is not about stopping the automatic windows updates.  I do have them disabled, but logically, at some point I do need to update my PC and it is NOT possible to deselect any updates from the bulk update once it starts.

How can I remove HP software updates from the list of updates that windows 10 offers every month so that they are NOT INCLUDED THERE.

thank you.

HP Recommended

hi

is that what you're talking about?

this may be different for you, but this is the windows update page, that is my question!

Capture d’écran 2020-12-20 102712.png

if I ask, it's because as you can see, I can select or not the updates

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

well, lucky for you to have this option - cause I don't.

I was able to select Windows updates up to Windows 8.1.  My version (English) of Windows 10  which I now have doesn't have ANY such selection available.

HP Recommended

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

nothing miraculous, I just modified this

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Jazz888 

If the other links don't work well, you can try using this one:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Promethee

thanks!  that's a very clever hack - I have made the required changes and let's hope that it will work!

HP Recommended

@WAWood

thanks, but the info doesn't sound right.

I can see HP updates in the MAIN Windows Updates as they are downloading and cannot be stopped - I don't run Optional updates at all, don't even open them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.