Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I formatted my usb drives, they are all "write protected". How do I change this (disable the write protection).

Thanks for any help.

grh
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rtdpharmacist 

OK -- thanks for the replies.

Nothing you said is unusual -- in fact, there should be no issues with what you are doing.  So, I don't know why this PC refuses to reformat those USB sticks.

You could try installing this free app and seeing if that will do the reformatting:  https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rtdpharmacist 

No one has responded before because you've given us nothing to work with, only a complaint.

What app are you using to do the formatting?

Why are you formatting these, since USB sticks normally come preformatted?

What filesystem are you writing to the USB sticks?

What is the capacity of the USB sticks?

Have you tried formatting them a second time? If so, what happens?

HP Recommended

Using microsoft (in file explorer to format

I am formatting sticks that I have used before for something else

File system FAT 32

the sticks range from 16kb to 64kb

I have tried to format 3 and 4 times and they all will not let me format after the first time because they say "Write Protected"

grh
HP Recommended

@rtdpharmacist 

OK -- thanks for the replies.

Nothing you said is unusual -- in fact, there should be no issues with what you are doing.  So, I don't know why this PC refuses to reformat those USB sticks.

You could try installing this free app and seeing if that will do the reformatting:  https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

HP Recommended

Thanks, I downloaded the "Mini-tool" and it formats just fine. I can now write on the sticks.

Thanks again

grh
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.