Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got a new desktop and found that the space is divided into C where there is the operating system files and very little space, and D where i presume i will store all my other files. All new software is though installed into C drive as standard and being practically full i cannot install anything, or backup my iphone as i believe itunes, installed in C drive, creates the backup in C. Is there a way to get D to be used for new file installations, or do i need to move space from D to C? and if so how can i do it? when i shrink drive D it is grayed out the option to increase drive C with it. Thanks for the help

Capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

You appear to have 2 devices, a 128 GB SSD of some sort and then a 1 TB HDD.

The areas marked OEM E: drive and the RE tools are the recovery area and an external 16GB USB flash drive can be used to save them externally against the day the SSD or HDD fails.

As to installing onto the HDD, yes you can.

S:\>dir prog*
 Volume in drive S is Storage
  Directory of S:\
12/08/2018  19:00    <DIR>          Program Files
06/10/2018  14:07    <DIR>          Program Files (x86)
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  131,062,046,720 bytes free

I install programs there,

S:\Program Files>dir
 Directory of S:\Program Files
12/08/2018  19:00    <DIR>          .
12/08/2018  19:00    <DIR>          ..
09/08/2018  07:18    <DIR>          7-Zip
09/08/2018  07:18    <DIR>          AnyBurn
09/08/2018  07:20    <DIR>          Cisco Packet Tracer 7.1.1
09/08/2018  07:20    <DIR>          Defraggler
22/11/2018  16:14    <DIR>          FileZilla FTP Client
09/08/2018  07:22    <DIR>          LibreOffice6
09/08/2018  07:25    <DIR>          LinuxLive USB Creator
09/08/2018  07:27    <DIR>          Partition Manager 14 Free
09/08/2018  07:27    <DIR>          Recuva
09/08/2018  07:27    <DIR>          Speccy
26/10/2018  12:44    <DIR>          UltraDefrag

especially Disk/Partition tools.

When you install a new proggy it usually decides the Drive and Directory itself by default, but sometimes you can select

D:\Program Files\    instead of  C:\Program Files\ 

HP Recommended

@Stef1985

You can not "move space" from C: to 😧 or vice-versa because these are two physically different drives.

Your best bet, although I don't know how to accomplish this since I avoid all things Apple, is to remove iTunes (if it is currently installed in C:) and reinstall iTunes with the 😧 drive holding the pictures, video, and audio.  That should free up a lot of space on C:

And, here are some things you can do to recover some of the "disk" space from C:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Also, the community Win10 Forums has the following suggestions:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/83441-free-up-drive-space-windows-10-a.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.