Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Good morning all,

My motherboard was replaced after having an issue but during bootup i get a loud beep followed by "Invalid Chassis Serial Number". I have looked across forums and they say to press F10 to get into BIOS then CTRL A to be able to enter the Serial Number.

First my machine is HP Prodesk 600G1 Tower PC, second the F10 doesn't get me anywhere, and finally the which serial number are they talking about and where can I find it?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to tap the ESC key first on your model to get access to the F10 BIOS access menu.

After entering BIOS Setup by hitting the F10 key, press Ctrl+A to open additonal fields in Security>System IDs menu.

Enter your PC's serial number in Asset Tag Number and Chassis Serial Number fields.

Save changes there and again when you exit the BIOS.

If that doesn't work you will have to contact HP technical support for assistance.

HP Recommended

Is it where I have to tap esc once then press F10 or do I have to do multiple taps then press F10?

HP Recommended

I usually tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.

I never tried pressing it just once.

Then you should get a menu of options to select.

F10 will be one of them.

HP Recommended

The motherboard was replaced by an HP Technician due to a network connection not working. After he left and I turned on the system I get "Invalid Chassis Serial Number". The solution posted using the ESC button or F10 did not resolve the issue. The only thing that works is the "F1 : Boot " message with a blue background that apprears in the lower left corner. Pressing F1 will start the Windows 7 Professional OS but can never get to the BIOS no matter what other button is pressed. The Invalid message occurs first each time the machine boots up.

HP Recommended

In your case, Hp engineer has to update the motherboard information on your bios before he left. call hp as explain the situtation.

two possiable solutions, for them to come and fix it or to give you correct instuctions finding the mother board serial number and updating it on the Bios.

hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I've a similar thread opened to no avail.. CTRL +A no longer works with the 705G2 BIOS 😞

HP Recommended

Are you entering the S/N of the new system board?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.