Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I am trying to boot from usb on a HP ENVY 700 desktop. I am not sure of the serial number as of now. 

I followed the instructions and have produced a bootable USB and i have checked this on a work dell computer where there is an option for me to boot from my USB if i wish to but on my HP ENVY no matter what options i select it does not show up with my usb in question and when i try to change the boot sequence by ensuring the usb/floppy and usb hard drive is above the rest of the booting sequencers it still just boots up as normal to my windows 10 boot. I have turned off secure boot and used Legacy boot and it still is not working. 

I have gone through all the options i can that seem to be logical and it just is not working. I dont understand and i have to boot through a usb as the os i am using can be quite dangerous in a live environment so it can not be downloaded to the hard drive. 

I need some immediate help this is getting quite frustrating now as it should be simple to do yet HP has not got the simplisitic way of doing this.

Please if someone could point me in the right direction I would be soooo grateful ideally if i could have a walk through on how to do it

I need this to work as i can not afford to buy new systems and its for my studying so its imperative

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your PC has a Memphis motherboard and that happens to have a UEFI BIOS and GPT format hard drive.

You can verify the hard drive volume type   at the command line by using the DiskPart utility. 

Create a bootable UEFI flashdrive with RUFUS.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Plug it into an available usb port  before pressing the power button. Pres the powr button and immediately start tapping on the F9 key to enter the boot sources menu. Select the flashdrive under UEFI Boot sources. Let the Boot process continue. If you have created the   flashdrive correctly, it should boot.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Use RUFUS to create a UEFI USB bootable flashdrive.

Is your hard disk a GPT or MBR volume?

I ask that because you did not specifically identify your HP ENVY 700 desktop. There are a great number of desktops with different motherboard and BIOSes in the HP Envy desktop model group.

Please post your complete product number. Look at the service tag that should be on the rear or side of your desktop PC's case. The service tag will only show the model series as the product name and that is not specific enough.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hey it is this particular model:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04337197

Hope this helps 

HP Recommended

Your PC has a Memphis motherboard and that happens to have a UEFI BIOS and GPT format hard drive.

You can verify the hard drive volume type   at the command line by using the DiskPart utility. 

Create a bootable UEFI flashdrive with RUFUS.

Plug it into an available usb port  before pressing the power button. Pres the powr button and immediately start tapping on the F9 key to enter the boot sources menu. Select the flashdrive under UEFI Boot sources. Let the Boot process continue. If you have created the   flashdrive correctly, it should boot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.