Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ExamENVY Desktop - 750-170se CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Microsoft office became deactivated after windows update. How can I reactivate MS Office 2016? It came preinstalled on desktop

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@frtmover1 -- was Office installed as a "30-day-free-trial" ? Or, do you have a subscription to Office 365?

HP Recommended

It was preinstalled as an add on when I customized the desktop. It was not a trial

HP Recommended

@frtmover1 -- what happens when you try to activate it?

If you originally activated it via a Microsoft Account, your product-key for Office should be available after you logon to your Microsoft Account.

HP Recommended

It was 4 years ago  however, I don’t recall using a Microsoft account to activate it and, I have no record of creating a Microsoft account in my hard copy file. 

HP Recommended

@frtmover1 

Ever since Office 2013, Microsoft has distributed Office products in two different "versions".
--------------------
The first is something new known as Click to Run (abbreviated CTR). In this case, you download the installation package from Microsoft, install it, and use the product key obtained from Microsoft. With the CTR version, the product key is NOT stored on your local machine, but instead, in your account at Microsoft. There is no way to retrieve the product key from your machine because it simply is not stored there. IF you had the second version, the ONLY way to get the product key, is from your MS account.
--------------------
The second is similar to what they did previously, with the software installed locally on your PC, using a product key that came with the product. When done, that product key is stored locally in your PC, in the registry. This means that you can use a variety of registry scanning tools to retrieve that product key later -- should you need it.

If you have reformatted the drive or reinstalled Windows, you have wiped out the office key information previously stored there and that can NOT be recovered. You would have to contact HP Customer support directly to see if they can help in any way...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.