Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-129no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone!

So as the title states, my display settings keeps reverting back to the factory preset settings (which looks dreadful) at startup. I've tried checking the box "Make this Preset the default" both before and after clicking "Apply" and clicking "OK". Not really sure what else I can try to make it work.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Been trying to search for some answers but couldn't find anything. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@raodek

Welcome to HP forums, I see that the display settings are reverting back to default settings.

Did you run any updates on the computer recently?

Meanwhile: Update the BIOS

1. Press and hold the Ctrl and Alt keys, and then press the S key to open the utility.

HP System Information window

2. Write down the Product Number, Motherboard ID, and BIOS version number.

Step 3: Install the BIOS update

Download and install the correct BIOS update for your computer from the HP Customer Support website.

1. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads, and then enter your computer product number.

NOTE:

If you upgraded to a new Windows version, in the Selected operating system pane, click Change, select the original operating system that came with your computer, and then click Change.

Change your computer operating system

2. Look through the available software for BIOS, click it, and then confirm it is a higher version number and it is for your processor type.

• If the update is correct, click Download. Follow the on-screen instructions to save the file to your computer. Do not select the option to Run the file.

• If the update is not correct, view the details of other available BIOS updates. If there are no other updates, the computer does not require a BIOS update.

• If BIOS is not in the list of available software, an update is currently unavailable.

3. Close any open applications.

4. Temporarily disable your antivirus software. Search Windows for 'security', open the Security and Maintenance settings, and then click Security to access virus protection settings.

5. Browse to the folder or desktop where you saved the downloaded BIOS update file.

6. Find the file name (example: sp12345.exe), and then double-click it to start the installation.

CAUTION:

Do not shut down or restart the computer until the update process completes.

7. Follow any on-screen instructions, and then restart the computer when prompted to complete the update.

NOTE:

If a '251' or CMOS Checksum error displays after the update, go to Error: CMOS Checksum Bad to resolve the issue.

8. If Bitlocker was suspended, search Windows for 'bitlocker', and then click Resume Protection.

9. Re-enable your antivirus software.

Then download the display driver and install from this link:-  Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Sandytechy20 

Unfortunately that didn't help. I followed your steps but it still reverted back to factory settings on the HP My Display Preset.

Is there anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

@raodek

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Uninstall the display driver from device manager

1. Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10.

2. Select Device Manager.

3. Expand the entry. Right-click the display driver and select Uninstall device.

4. You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.

Install the driver from the HP website: Click here

If the issue persists, create a new user account and check if that works.

• Select the Start button, then select Settings  > Accounts  > Family & other users > Add someone else to this PC. (Depending on your edition of Windows 10, you may see Other users instead of Family & other users.)

• At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
  • Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

Let me know if that helps.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Sandytechy20

Hi again,

Thanks for you time but it didn't work.

It did give me hell with trying to get my graphic drivers to work again though. Not entirely sure if I managed to install the ones from your link. Whenever I tried to install something from your link or from Nvidia's own site it just said "This graphics driver would not find compatible graphics hardware". 

I then decided to restart since nothing worked (when all else fails, go back to basics). After a restart and a stop error code with something along the lines of "POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE" it started correctly again and had the latest graphic drivers again (according to device manager and Geforce Experience).

In the device manager this is the latest on history on display drivers:
"Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service nvlddmkm for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B80&SUBSYS_82FA103C&REV_A1\4&1DD1BEC6&0&0008 with the following status: 0."

Also, making a new account didn't change anything.

Got anything else for me to try?

HP Recommended

@raodek,

IT is awesome to have you back and your efforts are greatly appreciated. As @sandytechy20 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. 

It looks more like a hardware issue. Please run complete hardware diagnostics on the computer by following instructions from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259 (HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures)

Please follow all the steps from the section "Run the Extensive Test (2 hours or more)" and check the results. If any component fails, make a note of the failure code for the failed component. The computer needs to be repaired.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Sandytech20 @DavidSMP

Hi!

While doing the test, not sure when as I wasn't by the PC at that moment, it got a kind of bluescreen saying it got a POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE again.

What should I do now?

HP Recommended

@raodek,

I read your quick response and appreciate your immense patience. The computer has a hardware issue and needs to be serviced.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon. 

Thank you and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.