Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
H3L24AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My friend gave me her old HP desktop computer.So upon looking at the CPU.I notice the thermal paste wore off the CPU.So i need to know what kind of thermal paste i need.It runs very well.I just installed Windows 10 on it.It had windows 8.I dont wanna put any thermal paste on it.I just need the correct one.I dont know awhole lot about computers.So i figure i would come here and get some help.So its a HP Pavilion ps-2313w Desktop PC.The serial number is MXU246007Q.Im including a link for more information on this computer.https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2300-desktop-pc-series/5295969/model/5296956/pro... thank you....

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HeartlessBoy197 

Effective heat removal requires tight connection between the CPU and the fan base, and since two pieces of metal will always have very small gaps, thermal paste is used to fill those gaps to transfer the heat.  So, you MUST have thermal paste or a thermal pad for that to work properly.

The best I've used in the past is called Artic Silver and to apply it, you put a single small DROP in the center of the CPU and then use a piece of smooth plastic, like a credit card, to smooth that out until there is, at most, a very thin layer.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Okay great thank you.I looked on amazon and there is so many of what you mentioned.Or is there a certain one that you recommend?

HP Recommended

@HeartlessBoy197 

Go to the website for ArticSilver -- they have instructions and suggestions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.