Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Model No. P2-1343w
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

So I bought a desktop computer from someone within the last few days and it had been sitting around their house being unused for a while. They couldn't factory reset it because they didn't have a mouse for it and thwy had forgotten the password to it.

Is it possible to factory reset it without a password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, that would not be possible.

If the PC has W10 on it, you can clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

The PC originally came with W8 64 bit, so make the 64 bit installation media.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from the PC's support page.

HP p2-1343w Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, that would not be possible.

If the PC has W10 on it, you can clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

The PC originally came with W8 64 bit, so make the 64 bit installation media.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from the PC's support page.

HP p2-1343w Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Ok thank you for responding. I actually just figured out how to reset it. Holding the esc key while startup and pressing f11 to go to system recovery or something like that. And fully wiping the hard drive back to its default settings. Should that work?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, if the PC doesn't ask for the Windows password.

Some models do and some don't.

Using that method will reinstall W8, so if you want to upgrade back to W10, go to the Microsoft link I posted above and click on the blue Update Now button so you can get W10 back again.

HP Recommended

I think it will reinstall w10 but if it doesn't then I'll come back to this and let you know. I think it was bought after w10 was released so its the only thing on it 

HP Recommended

Hi:

The PC came with W8.  See the specs below...

HP p2-1343w Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.