Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 125-a123
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchased this pc 3-4 months ago, every month it uses more and more data by updating constantly. I need to enable a metered connection to stop this but no one has been able to help, including HP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@marcella61, welcome to the forum.

There is a way to disable Windows Updates.  You should go into the Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / click on Services.  In the new window that opens, scroll down to the entry Windows Update.  Right click on it and select "Properties".  Next, choose "Startup type" in the middle of the page.  Then, choose "Disable".  Windows Update is disabled.

Now, you have the responsibility to assure that your computer is protected by manually downloading and installing all of the Security Updates and other Critical Updates.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@marcella61, welcome to the forum.

There is a way to disable Windows Updates.  You should go into the Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / click on Services.  In the new window that opens, scroll down to the entry Windows Update.  Right click on it and select "Properties".  Next, choose "Startup type" in the middle of the page.  Then, choose "Disable".  Windows Update is disabled.

Now, you have the responsibility to assure that your computer is protected by manually downloading and installing all of the Security Updates and other Critical Updates.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
@ Old_Geekster, you are awesome, Thank you !!
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @marcella61.  I am always glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.