Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed the HP Support Assistant in order to update my drivers.  I'm currently getting an issue when trying to update the BIOS.

Whilst the installation tool prepares the package and reboots the computer, I'm faced with a neverending loop where the tool states the BIOS needs to be updated (with the same SP88264 file).

OMEN Command Centre also wants me to "Proceed with BIOS update" every time.

Would anyone be able to provide support here? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If your device is working fine and you're not planning any changes to it then most of the time you can leave the bios alone unless there is some specific critical need to update it, ie overheating or such.   Depending on the model, you can upgrade the bios from inside the setup itself using a usb disk. There can be a menu for it in setup. 

HP Recommended

Hi Steve thanks for replying.

Whilst there is no critical need per se, I was wanting to install HP's Omen Gaming Hub.  This is 'forcing' me to do the Bios Update, and won't run without it:

Screenshot 2021-02-13 213329.png

Clicking "Proceed with BIOS update" will package the update and reboot the computer before showing this message again on loop.  It was suggested somewhere else that I try the HP Support tool to install the BIOS update (which I did to a similar loop).

HP Recommended

That's interesting.  Can you go to the hp support page for your model and download the bios from there and updated it using the procedure described there, usually you download a program sp12345.exe format and run it. This extracts the bios update into a folder on the c: drive called swsetup and you install from the matching sp numbered folder in there. Some pcs have a way to update the bios from inside the setup bios itself, usually the last menu option on the right that lets you download the bios from the web and place it on a fat32 formatted disk(nothing else on it) and install it using menus inside the bios setup.

HP Recommended

Thanks Steve - I will give this a go next weekend (unfortunately this PC is my main work/development PC, so I need it during the week without messing it up!)

HP Recommended

For sure, better safe than sorry. There can be great value in second hand hp business class small form factor desktops out there and with a solid state drive installed they can be a great backup /second /spare machine. The elitedesk series are strong and reliable if ever you see one cheap. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.