Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP Omen 870-244 day before yesterday, started up the system, and used it normally.  I tested Omen Control for the LED's on the tower to make sure it worked, as the computer is in my bedroom, and I wanted to ensure I could turn off the light source.  Windows ran updates and restarted.  After the restart, I lost control of the LED through Omen Control.  No matter what settings I choose or change, it stays performing "light show."

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

krzemien,

Thank you for your response.  I was able to resolve this issue by using the "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant" to update my Windows 10 OS to the newest build.  Windows update does not detect the need for the update; it specifically must be the upgrade assistant.

HP Recommended

So what Windows version you're on at the moment?

My Omen out of the box was on the Anniversary Update, and Omen Control was working fine for some time - until one of the BIOS or HP driver's updates deployed few months ago impacted it.

I did not decide to install Creator's Update myself, I am awaiting Windows notification that I am able to do so.

HP Recommended

The version of Windows 10 I am running is version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413).  I am unsure of what the previous version and build number were before the update I ran.

HP Recommended

So yes, you moved onto Anniversary Update and you say that now it works? Interesting.

Would you mind checking and letting me know what version of Omen Control you have installed on your PC exactly? You can check it in Programs & Features within Control Manager.

Mine is v.1.1.1 and was originally deployed by HP (so build date around Aug 2016) - and not updated later, I think.

HP Recommended

The current version of Omen Control I am using is also v 1.1.1.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks. And do you remember / know whether HP Assistant was deploying updates to your Omen then as well?

I am trying to figure out what process exactly broke this functionality, HP or Windows update.

I started troubleshooting with HP Support last week and can confirm that Omen Control via sp76864.exe that's available on HP website is unsurprisingly not the same one (v1.0.3) as the one that I have had installed on my PC from the outset (v.1.1.1). When the former is installed, Omen Control does not change the lighting at all - at least on my PC.

Also, you seem confirming that this version has not changed on your PC either.

(Thus beware: software available via HP website does not match what has been supplied on your machine. It's best to keep a copy of SWSOFTWARE catalogue on your root drive - not to mention creating recovery drive via HP Manager)

HP Support is adamant that everything works fine on their test machine, but they are yet to confirm whether it's fully up to date matching mine (Win 10 1607, Anniversary Update, all HP updates also installed).

Last but not least: if Win10 upgrade to 1703 (Creators Update) resolves it then it points to some Microsoft bug supplied recently (also not that very surprising) but then one assumes that HP should already have known this? I did not upgrade  myself, I am awaiting OS notification before I do so.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks. And do you remember / know whether HP Assistant was deploying updates to your Omen then as well?

I am trying to figure out what process exactly broke this functionality, HP or Windows update.

I started troubleshooting with HP Support last week and can confirm that Omen Control via sp76864.exe that's available on HP website is unsurprisingly not the same one (v1.0.3) as the one that I have had installed on my PC from the outset (v.1.1.1). When the former is installed, Omen Control does not change the lighting at all - at least on my PC.

(Thus beware: software available via HP website does not match what has been supplied on your machine. It's best to keep a copy of SWSOFTWARE catalogue on your root drive - not to mention creating recovery drive via HP Manager)

HP Support is adamant that everything works fine on their test machine, but they are yet to confirm whether it's fully up to date matching mine (Win 10 1607, Anniversary Update, all HP updates also installed).

Last but not least: if Win10 upgrade to 1703 (Creators Update) resolves it then it points to some Microsoft bug supplied recently (also not that very surprising) but then one assumes that HP should already have known this? I did not upgrade  myself, I am awaiting OS notification before I do so.

HP Recommended

I am responding to this e-mail thread an post is getting deleted - might have been linke reference to the EXE file...

Let's try again then:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.