Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Mini Desktop - 300-030
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Unit reset to factory defaults. Windows 8.1 / all updates performed / most current Bios.

Trying to upgrade to latest Windows 10. Have tried from utility on HD and Bootable USB.

Goes through process and acts as if it is installing. After approximately 2 hours, message pops up  -  Unable to install Windows 10  -  no details or error code.

Tried twice using both methods.

Suggestions  / Ideas / Thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since the PC came with W8.1, when you go to clean install W10, it will ask you to:

1.  Select the version of W10 you want to install (Home or Pro).

Select the version of W10 that is equivalent to the version of W8.1 HP installed.

2.  it will ask for a product key, and since you don't have a W10 product key, you select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you refer to having used the bootable USB made with the media creation tool, did you try clean installing W10, or did you run the installer from within W8.1 by clicking on the setup application?

If you did not try a clean install, you may want to use that option, and when you get to the part that asks to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

After W10 has completed installing, you should be able to activate W10 with the W8.1 product key found in your PC's BIOS.

HP Recommended

I thought I had performed a clean install but do not recall it asking for a Product Key. But doesn't it automatically look yo see if there is a already an OS on the machine?

It did ask if I wanted to keep information or not and selected remove everything. 

Its been a month or so since I played with this machine...

Will try again this evening.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since the PC came with W8.1, when you go to clean install W10, it will ask you to:

1.  Select the version of W10 you want to install (Home or Pro).

Select the version of W10 that is equivalent to the version of W8.1 HP installed.

2.  it will ask for a product key, and since you don't have a W10 product key, you select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

HP Recommended

Windows 10 is now installed.

2 items addressed 

1) disabled UEFI Legacy. 

2) I had also received the message

Partitions on the dIsk selected  for installation are not in the reccomend order

Performed a Diskpart / Clean.

Thanks for the assistance 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.