Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP envy all-in-one which cannot install the windows update 1903 May 2019. I am getting the following problem and have found the Microsoft article below. However, when I check on either the HP website or HP assistant they do not report any problems nor can I find an updated version of the required file (iastora.sys)

Hope someone can help

Regards

David

Updating to Windows 10, version 1903 on devices with certain versions of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) drivers
Applies to: Windows 10, version 1903

Symptoms

If you are trying to update to the Windows 10 May 2019 Feature Update (Windows 10, version 1903), you may encounter an update compatibility hold and receive the message, "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST): The inbox storage driver iastora.sys doesn’t work on these systems and causes stability problems on Windows. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows."

Cause

Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) drivers and the Windows 10 May 2019 Update. If your device has an Intel® RST driver version between 15.1.0.1002 and 15.5.2.1053 installed, it cannot install the May 2019 Update.
Versions 15.5.2.1054 or later are compatible, and a device that has these drivers installed can install the Windows 10 May 2019 Update. For affected devices, the recommended version is 15.9.6.1044.
Next steps

To resolve this issue, you will need to update the Intel® RST drivers for your device to version 15.5.2.1054 or a later. Check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it. You can also download the latest Intel® RST drivers directly from Intel at Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver. Once your drivers are updated, you can restart the installation process for the May 2019 Update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that is what I was looking for...

This driver should work for you...on your PC's support page...

15.7.0.1014     Nov 22, 2017

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp83501-84000/sp83932.exe

My understanding is that even if you update to a newer driver, you may still get that error.

So...if you install this driver and you still get the update block, you can get around that issue by:

Go to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers, find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys

Then you should be able to update to W10 v1903.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your PC?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Please do not post the serial number.

HP Recommended

Z7B69EA#ABU

Is this what you are looking for?

HP Recommended

if the Microsoft post is correct I have checked the file iastora.sys on my system and its version is 15.2.0.1020

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that is what I was looking for...

This driver should work for you...on your PC's support page...

15.7.0.1014     Nov 22, 2017

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp83501-84000/sp83932.exe

My understanding is that even if you update to a newer driver, you may still get that error.

So...if you install this driver and you still get the update block, you can get around that issue by:

Go to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers, find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys

Then you should be able to update to W10 v1903.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul

Thank you for your help with my problem installing Win10 1903. Your solution did fix the non-installation problem.

Can I ask a question:

In your solution you state that the driver was "on your PC's support page", where do I find this support page? When I went through the support page it told me that my drivers were up-to-date and that no drivers were available to install.

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction and thanks again for your help

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the link to the support page for your PC...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-curved-34-b000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/13823530/mo...

Beneath the large green Detect my drivers button, there is a blue All Drivers link with a + sign.

Click on that, and all of the drivers will appear.

Under the Driver-Storage section, is a list of various drivers.

I selected the most recent IRST driver from the list and posted it for you.

That is where it came from.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have also proble with update to newer version od Windows 10 (currently I have Windows 10 1709 on HP 800 G1 SFF, that should be compatible with 1809 version of Windows maximum.
My product number is C8N26AV. BIOS v2.77

I did: "Go to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers, find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys" and didn't helped

What Can I do?

Maybe I need to integrate something with WinToolkit? Drivers/ETC?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.