Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 24-G016 All-In-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a practically brand new desktop computer that is causing problems with my Logitech M705 wireless mouse that uses a unifying receiver that also controls a Logitech keyboard.  It should be noted the mouse has no problems operating on any other computer.  This mouse has 5 programmable buttons that allow me to set up whatever functions I wish on them.  I have special functions set up on all the buttons except for the left and right click buttons.  The issue is that multiple times a day the programming for the buttons I have set up stops working for no reason at all, and at no particular time.  I can go hours without a problem or it can happen several times in one hour.  The only way to get the button programming to start working again is to unplug the unifying receiver and plug it back in, then everything goes back to normal.  I have problems with the keyboard at all (it uses the same unifying receiver).  If I log out from my user account and log back in the button programming is always lost until I exit out of the Logitech Setpoint software and start it back up again.

This issue is only experienced on this computer.  My other computers have no problem with this mouse.  Both of those computers also use the M705 mouse.  I have switched the mice around between the computers and no matter which mouse I have connected to this computer the issue persists which tells me the issue is being cause by the computer, not the mouse.

I have worked with Logitech tech support extensively and nothing they've suggested has corrected the issue.  I even went to the trouble to set up a new user profile on this computer, which did not correct the issue.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this problem, and what might correct it would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem started the day this computer arrived and I installed the mouse software.  I've done a system restore, to no avail.  I've also run the scannow function in administrator mode and it found no problems with the sytem.

It's beginning to look like I need to change to another mouse product.  The Logitech M705 is by far the best mouse I've ever used and I don't know that I'll be able to find one from another manufacturer that offers the same functions.

So lets call this case closed.  It doesn't look like there is anything else that can be done to solve this problem. 

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mdv92153

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's a problem using Logitech M705 mouse on new all-in-one desktop unit

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you update Windows and the BIOS?

(Click here to update from HP, If you haven't).

Meanwhile, You can go to Device Manager to check if there is a problem with Logitech Mouse driver. If there is a yellow mark next to the mouse device, the driver is not working properly. 

Before updating drivers, try the following tricks first.
They may work like a charm on your case.

1. Unplug the mouse and plug the mouse again. 
2 . Test the mouse on a different USB port. 

Following methods are for your reference how to update Logitech Mouse drivers.

1. Use Windows Update

You can use Windows Update to check for the updates in Windows 10. It may detect the right mouse driver automatically. If this feature in your Window 10 has been set to install updates automatically, you can disregard this way.

2. Update the Driver Manually

You can go to Logitech website then download the Logitech drivers here: Click here

Please make sure you download the right driver, as the wrong driver may cause problems. After you download the driver, usually, you can just double-click on the downloaded file then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I have updated the bios & the intel driver.  The current mouse driver is the latest driver available and the system says it is working fine.   I have moved the mouse receiver to virtually every USB port on the computer.  I have also reinstalled the Logitech software.  Also, all Windows updates are current.  I have also set up a new Windows user profile.  None of these solutions have solved the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @mdv92153,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have followed all the steps suggested and still having the issue with the wireless mouse. I would suggest here is to try this wireless mouse on another computer and check how it performs.

You could as well try another wired/wireless mouse on this computer and check if that helps.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I said in my initial query I have tried the mouse on other computers (all HP) and it works perfectly on them.  I do not have another M705 mouse with programmable buttons to try on this computer.  I have also switched the unifying receiver out using 4 other receivers and the problem persists no matter which receiver I use.

There is something (either software or hardware) on this particular computer that is causing the mouse button programming to stop working constantly.

HP Recommended

Hi @mdv92153,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried this mouse on another computer and it works absolutely fine, this clearly indicates the issue to be with the computer itself. Before we come to any conclusion whether it's a hardware or software issue. Let's try these steps here:

If the issue started recently, I would suggest you perform a system restore to a previous date where it was all working fine, using this link.

If the issue still persists then you may perform a Windows Refresh (repair). This will also not delete any of your data and fix any issues with the Windows operating system. The link provided is for Win8. However, it will work for Win10 also.

If nothing works, I would suggest perform a System recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem started the day this computer arrived and I installed the mouse software.  I've done a system restore, to no avail.  I've also run the scannow function in administrator mode and it found no problems with the sytem.

It's beginning to look like I need to change to another mouse product.  The Logitech M705 is by far the best mouse I've ever used and I don't know that I'll be able to find one from another manufacturer that offers the same functions.

So lets call this case closed.  It doesn't look like there is anything else that can be done to solve this problem. 

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @mdv92153,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.