Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ5110F
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Using the discs provided by HP, I upgraded my OS from Vista to Windows 7. The initial attempt to upgrade wiped all remnants of Vista. I had to reinstall it from recovery media and all updates (for numerous years) and this was very time consuming. Windows 7 is finally running and updated BUT Microsoft says the product key (as supplied by HP with the upgrade discs) "is not valid." Unless I install a valid key within 60 days, I understand I won't be able to get system updates & fixes. Microsoft's tech reps say Windows 7 isn't supported any longer & I should buy Win 8 or 10 for a lot of $. My search of the web shows only Vista support stopping next month, not Win 7. 

How can I get a valid product key that works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The key from the upgrade disk should be valid, even if it is old.  Assuming the key to be valid, it might be the way in which it was applied.  In the working windows, follow this guide to see if that works

https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how-to-use-slmgr-to-change-remove-or-extend-your-windows-license/

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Windows 7 is still supported and is still a good OS.  They probably said that to sell you a Windows 10.  The product key should have been on a sleeve for the Windows 7 disk but that may be long gone.  Did you still have the Windows 7 install disk that was supplied by HP?  How long ago was this done?  IE - is this the first time Vista was upgraded to Windows 7?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

TheOldMan- many thanks for your fast reply. Agreed, they were trying to sell me Windows 8 or 10. The product key I used IS from the sleeve containing the discs from HP and those were the ones used for the upgrade- done last week. This is the 1st upgrade. I intended to upgrade as soon as Win7 became available, but Vista worked so smoothly for many years that I didn't bother. As stated the initial attempt at installing failed- I believe I tried that from the MS website that was linked to a message from MS saying support for Vista was ending & I had to upgrade now. I even tried the product key from the original factory installed program which also didn't work.

So the question remains- how to get a valid product key so I can continue safely using the system I bought and paid for despite it being quite old (just like some of us users)? Trying to get direct support from HP is almost a joke. They automatically reject correspondence with a pat response "out of warranty" even though that's not the issue.

@TheOldMan wrote:

Windows 7 is still supported and is still a good OS.  They probably said that to sell you a Windows 10.  The product key should have been on a sleeve for the Windows 7 disk but that may be long gone.  Did you still have the Windows 7 install disk that was supplied by HP?  How long ago was this done?  IE - is this the first time Vista was upgraded to Windows 7?

HP Recommended

The key from the upgrade disk should be valid, even if it is old.  Assuming the key to be valid, it might be the way in which it was applied.  In the working windows, follow this guide to see if that works

https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how-to-use-slmgr-to-change-remove-or-extend-your-windows-license/

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I know the key that I have was entered correctly but rejected by Microsoft as "not valid." Also ran a computer profile on Belarc Advisor. It confirms Windows 7 Home Premium is installed, shows a software licence number and "key: none activated." I took a peek at the link you suggest. It appears involved for a novice  who is reluctant to delve into the bowels of the computer. So I'll spend time with it tomorrow or Saturday hoping a simpler solution is proposed before then. Again, thanks so much for your input.

HP Recommended

If after following that guide Windows 7 is still not activated, and you are not up to more advanced troubleshooting, then the most logical next step is to purchase a different product key and using that new key to activate.  However, if you have to go that route, then perhaps getting Windows 10 would be a better step.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@Contributor

I ran into a very similar problem when I tried to upgrade a Win7 HP PC to Win10.  Even though the Upgrade went well, Win10 would not activate -- giving me the same error message as you received.

I contacted MS and (as usual), they were useless -- telling me that I could not Upgrade to Win10 using a Win7 key!

What DID work was restoring Win7 to my PC and using this genuinekey solution from the community Win10 forums:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

Pay attention to step 6.

I know this is for Win10 and might not work for Win7, but at least it's a workaround to purchasing a license (if this works).

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi Dean WAWood-
Could you kindly clarify what you mean by it "would not activate"? Are you referring to the product key OR the Windows OS? My upgraded Windows7 is running very well and the problem is MS won't accept the product key, which was provided by HP when I purchased the computer. If I understand correctly, not getting that key accepted only means I won't get updates & support after 60 days. If possible, I really don't want to go through installing the system again and all my added programs & docs if I can get by  after being abandoned by MS.
Many thanks
@WAWood wrote:

@Contributor

I ran into a very similar problem when I tried to upgrade a Win7 HP PC to Win10.  Even though the Upgrade went well, Win10 would not activate -- giving me the same error message as you received.

I contacted MS and (as usual), they were useless -- telling me that I could not Upgrade to Win10 using a Win7 key!

What DID work was restoring Win7 to my PC and using this genuinekey solution from the community Win10 forums:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

Pay attention to step 6.

I know this is for Win10 and might not work for Win7, but at least it's a workaround to purchasing a license (if this works).

Good Luck

HP Recommended

@Contributor

It's been a while, but from what I recall, running Win7 unactivated eventually led to the situation where the screen was darkened, features were locked, and the ONLY function allowed was going to MS to purchase a license!

Now, there were workarounds published back then that allowed you to reset a counter several times, each of which gave you another "grace period" during which you could use Windows fully functional without activation.  Eventually, that counter ran out and the lock up happened.

So, unless they have changed this recently, there's more at risk that NOT getting updates.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

:smileywink:Using slmgr.vbs which you provided, I slowly proceeded step by step. At slmgr.vbs/ato I obtained a 54 digit installation I.D. which also was rejected but led me offline activation and a rather helpful MS rep in India who was able  to resolve the problem which was in the product key. My Windows7 is finally registered and I can get on with my life.

Interestly, MS is pushing free upgrade to Windows 10 and I will eventually spend some time checking if it would be a better system for me. They claim better security and a more user friendly system.  Meanwhile THANK YOU for all your assistance which is greatly appreciated. Ditto to my other responder who I will send a message directly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.