Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I figured out a workaround for this BIOS update.

Once the sp76205.exe was downloaded I executed it and it extracted to C:\swsetup\sp76205. The installer failed due to the missing ROM.CAB file but the files remained there.

I opened an Administrator Command Prompt (Win+X) and navigated to C:\swsetup\sp76205. There was a file called map.ini which lists how the BIOS update should be executed on each applicable model. My 8460p is model 161C which I found out with CPU-Z:

cpu-z.jpg

Now from the map.ini I could see the following:

161C=hpqflash.exe -s -f68SCF.CAB

That is how I updated the BIOS successfully. Leaving the '-s' switch would give a verbose output.

HP Recommended

Hello @_Ari_

Thank you for letting me know. I am really pleased that you managed to fix this issue and achieve the final goal.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I am having a problem with my new SSD drive being recognised by my computer.  Sometimes it is recognised and other times the computer boots off of the old OS on what is now a backup drive.  The problem is the bios keeps on losing the SSD drive and reverts to the old drive.  If I change it back, it is okay for a while but then does it again a few boots later.  I have updated the firmware on the SSD drive to the latest one and moved the SATA wire to the first sata connection on the MB.  When I look at the bios under win 10 support page, I am given no options for a bios update.  When I give it the old OS, win 7, I am given two options for two different motherboards that could be in my P7-1020 system:  H-RS880-UATX and N-Alvorix.  both bios show newer than my 2011 bios,  being made in 2013 but which one do I pick?

My current bios shows a build in 2011 and version 6.11.  One of the newer bios has a version of 6.11 but a build data in the 2013 time.  There is no way I want to upload the wrong bios.  FOr that matter why is there no bios choices under Win 10?

HP Recommended

After you check this string:

161C=hpqflash.exe -s -f68SCF.CAB

from map.ini What did you do then for updating?

Actually, i didn't get your solution.

I want to update my BIOS but have the same problem.

HP Recommended

That is the command you need to run in the directory where the BIOS update files are extracted to. Open an Administrator Command Prompt for that.

HP Recommended

OK, i got it.

Finally i must :

1. open CMD as Administrator

2. goto extract folder, like, cd C:\SWSETUP\SP76205

3. then, run this, 161C=hpqflash.exe -s -f68SCF.CAB ?

4. After this I will see the Installation Wizard of BIOS updating?

P.S. Does it helps me for my problem? My cooler works very hard after i installed SSD with caddy. I changed the therpo paste and clean fan. But when i turn on my laptop after 10 minute the temperature of CPU increase to 69-70 graduses.

HP Elitebook 8460p, Inter Core i7 2620p.

HP Recommended

3. if your system is of type "161C" then you need to run the command: hpqflash.exe -s -f 68SCF.CAB. This will work silently (-s) in the background, if you don't like that run command hpqflash.exe -f 68SCF.CAB instead.

4. No, please see above.

I have no idea if your problem will be solved by this. I have a SSD in my 8460p and no such issues before or after the BIOS update.

HP Recommended

Thaks Bro it does works

HP Recommended

Little late to the party. Instead of using the CMD. Move the HpqFlash to the extracted BIOS folder example: C:\SWSETUP\SP77880\HPQFlash and run the installation from there. When you first launch the installer it searches in your downloaded folder. Moving it kicked off the installation. Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

Hi

I tried your solution did not work for me.

Then tried this

Followed first step of your post using CPUZ to find my model which is  161C

opened C:/SwSetup/SPxxx(your bios folder) Renamed f68SCF to ROM

And i never got the error that rom.cab is missing 

Hope this helps

Capture.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.